Author Topic: Disabling New Topics  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Disabling New Topics
« on: Friday 11 January 08 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am having a moan as am really fed up with this.

I use/browse roots chat on a daily basis and on the particular county message boards where my research is centred I have enabled the notification button for new topics.  It is such a brilliant idea except that on a weekly basis I have to go back into each one, disable it and then enable it again.

When I commented on this problem a few months ago I was told that the problem was probably caused by me not going into the messages and so it switched itself off.  That is definitely not the case.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if sks could help me get over this issue I would be eternally grateful.

Regards

Half Pint
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling New Topics
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 08 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I have enabled the notification button for new topics.  It is such a brilliant idea except that on a weekly basis I have to go back into each one, disable it and then enable it again.

Hi Half pint
it's a while since i was a newbie :)so i cant remember what you mean by browse rootschat.Do you mean you read your replies before you log on? Notification of replies to your topics or any other topic that you have posted on/started are automatically enabled. you do not need to enable them,you normally do not disable replies to your own topic.Sometimes it is necessary to disable notification from a topic if you have posted on it and topic goes on to many pages.Are you clicking on the blue line on the reply notification that says "do you want to disable notification to this topic" by any chance :)  P.S. you cannot disable topics only the new post to the topic

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 08 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I have just noticed the notify button on the bottom ;D i have never used that. If that is what you are doing that might be your problem :-\

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 08 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Half Pint

I am sorry you didn't get a reply to your original thread on this topic.

I am not really clear what you are doing?

Which board are you referring to?

As Celia says, unless you have changed anything the default is for Notification to be On.  It shouldn't be necessary to alter anything but as implied if you have contributed to an Off-Topic thread and get fed up with the notifications you can stop them.

If you can describe a bit more clearly what the issue is, perhaps we can see what the solution would be.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 08 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but for once the ironing had to take priority.

Many thanks for trying to help, especially as I don't appear to have explained my problem very clearly.

I procedure I follow is:

I go into the county boards of Bedfordshire, Cumberland, Durham, Hertfordshire, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire and Westmorland and just above the general messages are the three boxes that read notify, new topic and new poll.

I press the notify box and the message "are you sure you wish to enable notification of new topics for this board"  and confirm "yes".

To me what should happen then is that all new topics should send a notice through to my pc saying that a new topic has been created.  As soon as I see this, I go into the topic and either add a reply or I delete it.

This happens for a few days and then at varying times the messages seem to stop coming through to me.  In each instance when I go onto the particular county board there are new topics listed there, so I know that it is not due just to no new use of the board. 

I then have to go back into the notify box and disable it, to then enable it again.  This has to be done on at least a weekly or fortnightly basis.  Due to having messages through when I first do this I know it is not my machine blocking "unwanted mail" so am unsure whether there is a problem with the way I am doing things or there is a hiccup somewhere else.

I hope I have explained things a little better this time.

Again, thank you for your time.

Regards

Half Pint
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 08 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Half Pint - That is much clearer now, but I don't know what causes the problem.  I have a feeling it does happen occasionally but not weekly as it appears to be happening to you.  And, of  course, you don't get notifications for Totally Off Topic boards.

Lizzie

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 08 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Half Pint

I don;t know what causes it either.

Next time it does happen can you go into your Profile and see whether the boards are still listed on your list of notifications?

I think we will have to ask Admin after that ...

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 08 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

Thats what confuses me, when I go into the particular board I always have to disable it first.

Oh well, will do what you suggest and contact Admin when it happens again.

Regards

Half Pint