Author Topic: travelling between Cornwall and Channel Isles (1830's)  (Read 634 times)

Offline Twinmum

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
travelling between Cornwall and Channel Isles (1830's)
« on: Saturday 12 January 08 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I have a couple who married in Luxulian, Cornwall in 1826 and their first few children were christened in and around the same area (the youngest one was christened in 1832). Then they had a few more children, who according to records when they cam to Australia, were born in St Helliers on Jersey (from about 1832 - 1838) Then they had a few more children, the first of who was christened in Lanivet Cornwall in Nov 1841.

John Mannell was a stone mason and it is possible he went to Jersey for work. What I am interested in finding out, is if there are any sort of records for people travelling between the two places back then. Also, to get to the Channel Islands, where would they have travelled from? Would they have gone straight from Cornwall or would they have needed to go east a bit? Not knowing much about shipping back then and not really knowing the country, I have no idea how long the journey would have taken even.
Can anyone shed a little light on this topic?
thanks in advance,
Norma
BLACKBURN, PEARCE, BARRITT, DANIELS, FLETCHER, MOBEY, WRIGHT, BROWN, HISCOCK, BOOTHMAN, LOCKEY, SEDDON, BRINDLE, FIELD, BIRCH, DAWSON
MULLENS, HARGREAVES, BOWNESS, TAYLOR, TONGE, CROWSHAW, JACKSON, WHARTON, HOLT, CLAXTON, TOLEDANO, COX, EATTS, ANDERSON, FRANKLAND, MANNELL, SADLER, HEYS, CARR, CAVE, EGERTON, STARR, BUNTING, BEEK/BECK, MARSHALL, CLEMENT REARDON, HOWGILL. SELLARS, WOODCOCK, NUNN NUNES-MARTINES. CREASEY, BRIGHTON, BENNETT
ROSEVEAR, BOOMER, GRIGG, MENDOZA, PAINTER
NANCOLLINS, WINNON

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
Re: travelling between Cornwall and Channel Isles (1830's)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 08 22:59 GMT (UK) »
http://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/home.html have a look on here u might find something i also have an interest as couple of members of the ball family moved to jersey one in late 1830s and one in 1840s from st johns cornwall look in archives thenput in surname  raa

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
Re: travelling between Cornwall and Channel Isles (1830's)
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 08 23:02 GMT (UK) »
i know when william ball went to jersey 1840s he went with a group of govt workers raa