Author Topic: 3 lost children....  (Read 6029 times)

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3 lost children....
« on: Saturday 12 January 08 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Please can you help me find the missing 4 children born to George Cobb and Mary Ann Fuller.

My great Aunt told me that her father Walter Cobb was the youngest of 18 children born to George and Mary. I have managed to find 14 of the 18 but I am struggling with the last 4 and would appreciate a helping hand.

The children I have so far are;
 Eliza 1865,
Harriet 1867,
 Mary 1868,
William 1869,
George 1871,
 Rebecca 1873,
Harry 1874,
Francis 1877,
 Emma 1879,
Phoebe 1880,
 Edith 1882,
Rhoda 1884,
 Lillie 1887 and Walter 1889.
The children were born in the Upwell, Christchurch area of Cambridgeshire. All the female children had the middle name Ann.

Alot of the dates of birth are taken from the census records so may well be out abit, Walter was the last to be born in 1889 (I have his B/C).

I have been sent the burial register for Christchurch on there there is a Sidney Ernest Cobb buried on 09/04/1882 age 2mths and a Lillie Ann Cobb buried 04/04/1885 age 6mths. (Hence the 2nd Lillie Ann born in 1887 showing on the 1891 census age 4yrs) but these are the only children buried there in between 1860 and 1913.

I seem to have come to a dead end, but I have accumulated quite a few certificates with no relevance.
Any help or suggestions would be brilliant,
Andrea.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 4 lost children....
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 08 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Could this be one of them?

Births Dec Q1863 
COBB    John Fuller        Wisbeach    3b   626

Same Q as the marriage.

Sadly:

Deaths Mar Q 1864 
COBB    John Fuller        Wisbeach    3b   495   
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 08 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Galium,Thank you.

Just checked my records and I do have a John Fuller born 1863 - died 1864. Mary and George were married 13th Oct 1863 which may explain the Fuller Cobb name.

Andrea.

Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 08 18:20 GMT (UK) »
my Nan told me she was 1 of 13 children but i have only found 9, i am waiting for the next census but I have considered the fact that some were born & died in between the census,  or stillborn as they would still count as children, or miscarried (but i'm not entirley sure after 21/24 weeks the baby is fully formed, and if the mother passed a baby this young would it be classed as a miscarriage or a stillbirth?).
there is a register of stillbirths, this is separate to the main birth index but it is not available to the public and only parents of the stillborn child can apply to see a copy of their paticular entry.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 08 18:56 GMT (UK) »
My Great Aunt has been spot on so far with her recollection of the family, unfortunately she died last year at the ripe old age of 96. The family were quite close knit and lived relatively close together.

I also came to the conclusion that the missing children were born and also died in between census's.  I also thought that the gaps in between the births of the children could hold the key.

Andrea.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 4 lost children.... down to 3....
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

so the burials you have are not yours?

Lille Ann & Sidney Ernest???

are you claiming John Fuller Cobb to be yours???

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:03 GMT (UK) »
how about:~

COBB Sarah Ann       Wisbeach.3b   590   Q4   1870   

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 08 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Toni,

Sarah could be a possibility, right area, right middle name and born in a gap year. I missed this one during my search.
, either that or I am looking in the wrong places.

I have claimed John Fuller Cobb as one of the children; his name was on another piece of documentation that I didn't include in my original post. As for the other 2 burials I am not sure if they are mine, Lillie Ann (d1885) looks a good possibility as the next child born to George and Mary in 1887 was a girl and her name was Lillie Ann. In the previous generation of Cobb's I have got 3 George Cobb's born to one set of parents, fortunately the 3rd one survived.

Thanks for the help,
Andrea.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 3 lost children....
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 February 08 16:11 GMT (UK) »
To help see where the "gaps" are here are thwe birth registrations:

those in italics are extras I have found which may be 'possibles' for those missing and worth looking at

Ap/May/Jun 1862 Sarah Ann
Oct/Nov/Dec 1863 John Fuller
Oc/Nov/dec 1864 Elizabeth Ann
Ap/May/Jun 1866 HArriett Ann
Jan/Feb/Mar 1867 Eliza Ann
Oc/Nov/Dec 1867 MAry Ann
Jul/Aug/Sep 1868 George
Ap/May/Jun 1869 William
O/N/D 1870 Sarah Ann
J/A/S 1871 George
O/N/D 1872 Rebecca Ann
J/F/M 1874 Harry