Author Topic: birth certificates  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
birth certificates
« on: Sunday 13 January 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
i have sent off for many birth certs and rec'd them happily most were correct...
However is it possible to view before buying .... like in Scotland...
as I have one that i think is part of my research as 99 % if details given fit... but not sure.....
thank u

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: birth certificates
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 08 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi xinia,

you can't view before buying, but you can either ask the local register offices to check for parents' names before you buy, or do the same at the GRO

Here's the link to the online GRO site for certificate ordering:
 www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

That should tell you all you need to know.  There is a part of the form where you can ask them to check references including parent's names, spouse names etc.  They say that if you have done your own searching in the GRO indexes and have found more than one reference to the name you are researching, or are unsure which is the entry you require, they offer reference checking online. The charge is £7 for action on the first entry, which includes the cost of the certificate, and £3 for checking each subsequent reference against the information you have provided.  You must give one piece of information that you are sure will appear on the certificate, e.g. the exact date of the event.  A certificate will only be issued if the entry matches the checking point you give them.

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK