Author Topic: Capel Curig graveyard  (Read 7702 times)

Offline Harvey Lloyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Capel Curig graveyard
« on: Sunday 13 January 08 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this web site. I believe there has been some corespondance about the Thomas Pinches family. I am working on the records of Capel Curig Churchyard. There is a grave in the church yard dedicated to Frank Brian Pinches, age 13 years son of Thomas & Ann Pinches who died June 1st 1901. They were obviously not residants of Capel Curig. Has anyone any infomation on the family?

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Capel Curig graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 08 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harvey

You can search the Rootschat Archives (all boards not just this one) via the Search Facility half way along the top of the page. I've had a quick look re Pinches but can't immediately see anything connected to Capel Curig.

Is the churchyard you refer to St Juliettas? If so are you aware that GFHS have produced the MI's for that churchyard. M233 refers.

Gwil

Offline Harvey Lloyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 08 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gwil,
Many thanks for the helpfull reply, yes I know about the records, in a small way I helped to bring them together, I am involved in the Friends of St Julitta's Church. It is a fascinating graveyard ( then I expect most are!), full of interest, we are putting together a project on the churchyard and the name Pinches suggests they were visits to Capel when perhaps an accident happened.
Do you have any connection with the churchyard?
Best wishes
Harvey Lloyd

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 08 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Harvey
No, no connection (that I know of) with the Churchyard. I was trawling for WW1 references and found about 6. Didn't see any 'memorial' type entry though. I don't know the area all that well apart from passing through on the A5.Is there a WW1 Memorial in Capel Curig ? Has the actual Church been converted into a house and if so, did it have such a memorial possibly moved elsewhere?

Gwil

Offline Harvey Lloyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 08 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gwil,
There is a war memorial in Capel Curig, but I don't think there are any mention of 1st WW casualties, but I will look when next there (25th January).
The Old church has been renovated by a group called The friends of St Julitta's and is now used for community functions. The churchyard is a treasure of history of he past. There are one or two graves with mention of the war; one is in the name of Oliver who was killed in a flying accident. Will look it and others up for you but not until next week!
Best wishes
Harvey Lloyd

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 08 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Roots Chat Harvey. The only Thomas Pinches I can find is in the 1881 census, unmarried, aged 41,  b. Withinton, Shropshire, living with a William Tanner and his family.
Mervyn
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
FRANK BRIAN PINCHES 1888-1901
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 January 08 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harvey

I found Frank and his mother Ann on the 1901 census at the Cobden Hotel, Llanrhychwyn, Capel Curig

ref RG13/5243/53/12

Ann PINCHES, Servant, widow, age 37, occ. Housemaid, born Cirencester
Frank PINCHES, son, age 13, born Newark, New Jersey, USA, cripple at birth

How very sad

PS Found 1887 marriage of Ann Maria Phipps and Thomas Pinches
also 1903 Q1 Bangor, Ann Maria Pinches married either John Johnstone or James Ramskill

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 January 08 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Harvey

I have managed to obtain details of six from the MI's and wiould be grateful for whatever info you may find when you go there. Is there just the one graveyard in Capel Curig?

Capt Thomas Alfred Oliver, 29th Squadron RFC, who flew Morane BB two seaters and Nieuports with No 1 Sqn in 1916, was credited with his fifth victory over an enemy aircraft on the day before he was killed. He went down east of the lines on 14th August 1917. He was in a Nieuport 17 plane No B1557.*

As he is deemed 'missing in action' and has no known grave he is commemorated by CWGC on the Arras Flying Memorial

Here is a photo of a plane from his Squadron downed and captured a few months before he was killed.
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft/29977-english-aircraft.html

Gwil

Offline Harvey Lloyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 January 08 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Dear Hiraeth,
Thanks for the 1901 census info. Cobdens Hotel is in Capel Curig (put Frank Cobden in Google if you want to know why the hotel is named after him, he was a famous cricketer who bought it, originally named the Tan y Bwlch Hotel) so the names you quote must be the names that I am looking for. But your answer only leads to 10 other questions!!
The wedding fits too, together with the remarriage in 1903 in Bangor, why do you give an option for husbands?
What were the Pinches doing in Newark in 1878 when they had Frank as a baby. what happened to father Thomas and did the family live in Shropshire. Of course perhaps mother Ann was working in the hotel at that time.
Any more contributions to the Pinches puzzle?
Best wishes
Harvey Lloyd