Author Topic: Diary of Edward Arpin of Felmersham  (Read 4015 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary of Edward Arpin of Felmersham
« on: Sunday 13 January 08 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Edward Arpin was Parish Clerk & Gravedigger at Felmersham, Beds & he lived 1763 - 1831, During the years 1814-1831 he recorded in his diary happenings within that village & neighbouring hamlet of Radwell, & includes various family names. This diary was transcribed by the Beds Historical records Society & appears in their 1960 publication, Volume 40 ' Bedfordshire Diaries'.

I have a copy of the 14 pages from that volume if anyone wants any information.

Extracts of the diary are already published (1985) in the excellent Book 'Grain & Chaff' wriitten by W E Draycott.

Regards John 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline PaulineLS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary of Edward Arpin of Felmersham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Edward Arpin was Parish Clerk & Gravedigger at Felmersham, Beds & he lived 1763 - 1831, During the years 1814-1831 he recorded in his diary happenings within that village & neighbouring hamlet of Radwell, & includes various family names. This diary was transcribed by the Beds Historical records Society & appears in their 1960 publication, Volume 40 ' Bedfordshire Diaries'.

Extracts of the diary are already published (1985) in the excellent Book 'Grain & Chaff' wriitten by W E Draycott.

Regards John
Hi John,
I have ancestors I think came from Felmersham in the 1700's but as they were non-conformists I am having trouble identifying the family. I would very much appreciate you sending me a copy of the 14 pages of Edward Arpin's diary. I read about Edward in Ken Shrimpton's book 'Felmersham, The History of a Riverside Parish'.

I have not logged onto RootsChat for a long time and have forgotten how to use it so hoping my query is sent correctly.

Regards,
Pauline Shield.

Online jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 00:09 GMT (UK) »

Regards John
Hi John,
I have ancestors I think came from Felmersham in the 1700's but as they were non-conformists I am having trouble identifying the family. I would very much appreciate you sending me a copy of the 14 pages of Edward Arpin's diary. I read about Edward in Ken Shrimpton's book 'Felmersham, The History of a Riverside Parish'.

I have not logged onto RootsChat for a long time and have forgotten how to use it so hoping my query is sent correctly.

Regards,
Pauline Shield.
I'm lost. Why should being non conformist shield the actual family name  from you?

Offline PaulineLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

The name of my ancestor is Martha Knight who probably lived in Radwell. My surname is Shield and doesn't have anything to do with stopping me from researching the family. It is the lack of baptism and possibly burial records due to non-conformity that is the problem. I am hoping there is a mention of the Knight surname or non-conformity in Edward Arpin's diary. I am hoping you can send me the 14 pages of his notes from 'Bedfordshire Diaries' as per your post on 13 January 2008. Your post came up when I searched for 'Edward Arpin' which I thought was attahced to my query.
Thank you,
Pauline Shield.

Offline tdb007

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 April 24 07:16 BST (UK) »
Dear John,

I noticed that you have access to an electronic copy of the Diary of Edward Arpin of Felmersham. If I have misunderstood that, then I apologise, and please ignore the rest of this message.

I have been researching my family history for many years. Being an Australian, it would be no surprise to hear that I have ancestors from various parts of Britain and northern Europe. In particular, I do have family connections from various locations in Bedfordshire.

If possible, I would be quite interested to read a copy of Edward Aprin’s Diary. Obviously, I would be happy if any of my family connections were mentioned, but I suspect that that is quite unlikely.

What does interest me is depictions of life in earlier times, when those descriptions might well give me an insight into how my ancestors lived. I find it particularly interesting to contemplate the lives that people lived, especially when they subsequently packed up and moved to the opposite side of the planet. Most accounts of life in the 1700s and 1800s focus on the high and mighty, whereas my ancestors were almost certainly simple people, working to make a life for themselves and their children. For example, some of my female ancestors were straw weavers, and I found it fascinating to read about their lives and conditions.

I have tried to obtain access to the Diary through the university library and the state library, without success, so I thought I would contact you. If it is not feasible for you, I understand completely, and hope I have not wasted too much of your time.

Kind regards,
Trevor