Author Topic: Austin, Black Lion Hill  (Read 8846 times)

Offline TETRA2000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Austin, Black Lion Hill
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 May 13 20:11 BST (UK) »
Re the Mayor  Go 2 the town hall ask the sergeant (security) to show you the shield room, Tell him your relation was mayor 3 times You will find 3 shields AUSTIN      Gary

Offline TETRA2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 May 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
I knew ANNIE LOT ALICE & NELL Atridge really well, Annie & Alice both lived in Wood Green in the same house N0 8 XXXXXXX. Both Annie & Alice made things as seamstresses they would accumulate cloth of-cuts, keep them in sacks for me, when I would take them to the rag & bone man and get a shilling.  Round the corner from No 8 was White Hart Lane school. Nell married Ted when he came home from Germany he was a Provost in some town when the war ended. He opened a furniture shop in N W London A Freemason.

Me and my cousin Jane have never found out WHY the Austins closed Sheep St & Black Lion hill and moved lock stock & barrel to Torquay, then for some reason quick as a flash went to Wood Green, No 5 The Crosways Wood Green where my dad Albert Edward Reginald Austin died.

Offline TETRA2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 May 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
I have spoken to my cousin Jane this morning  Lot Annie Alice & Nell were 4 of 9 siblings ALL Attridge

Charlotte Kate Attridge (LOT) married William Edward Victor Austin, My Grandmother & Grandfather

My Great Grandfather William Augustus Austin married Annie Gertrude Lines (Austin)

FYI The other 5 Attridge siblings were Walter, Charles, William,(died 1968) Fred, & Ernest,

There is a book (one of 4) all about Northampton, It shows the butchers/poultry shop in Sheep St
the shop to the right is Austins dyers & cleaners. You can see it quite clearly.
If you can obtain a KELLYS NORTHAMPTON (Northampton Library have them) that covers the end of the 19th century you will see a half page advertisement for AUSTINS Dyers & Cleaners.

FYI the first cleaners in the UK to use carbon tetrachloride in dry cleaning
The address in Devon was 3 Elwin Terrace Cherbourne Devon my great Grandfather was born there in 27/6/1902

Offline ShanklinG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather was also William Augustus Austin - my grandfather was his second son (Bertram Wilfred Austin born 1890 at 5 Black Lion Hill and died in 1933).  Like some of the others who have posted to this thread, I am not sure why the family left Black Lion Hill when they did although looking at the local directories show that No 5 (and possibly other buildings in that row??) were replaced by a temperance hotel early in the 1900s.  My grandfather married my grandmother in Torquay although by the time of their marriage he was living in Finsbury Park (London) where most of their children were born.
I also have seen the half-page advert in the Kellys in Northampton Library (strangely enough I also now live in Northampton) but have not been able to find a picture of 5 Black Lion Hill - could you please let me know the details of the book with that illustration in?

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 22:40 BST (UK) »
Well well well.....Cousins all :D

One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline TETRA2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Re 23 Sheep Street
You need to obtain Bygone Northampton isbn 1-86077-021-5 by Alan Burman
Plate 47 & 48 are very interesting. The same pic, however smaller, can be found in Northampton in the making Part 5 page 13 the book is also by Alan Burman isbn 0947764-26-6

If you have a problem then go to Jones-Sands publishing CV7 9NA. I have and original from the negative from Alan and it is no wider a shot than the one in the book. Hi Graham I see you are still into fancy dress???????

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 July 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
I will be at Delapre Abbey this Saturday, doing my stuff all day with a display :) WW1 Northamptons
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline ShanklinG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 July 13 22:16 BST (UK) »
Tetra,
Many thanks for the book reference - I ordered a second hand copy from Amazon last night.
I have my grandmother's Birthday Book and checked last night - both your grandfather's birthday is recorded there (27 June) and your grandmother's (25 August?) - my grandmother has recorded her as Lottie Attridge and not changed it after their marriage.

Offline TETRA2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 26 July 13 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Questions
Was your grandmother lotts sister? if so what was her full name?
If your grandfather was lotts brother what was his full name?

G a r y