Author Topic: The DUFFS of Limerick  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Chris Duff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The DUFFS of Limerick
« on: Wednesday 05 January 05 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Originally, I posted a message on the Clare site, but I've since learned my DUFF family came from Limerick.  My great-grandfather, Patrick Duff, was born circa 1815 in County Limerick, maybe even Limerick itself, and is known to have died in 1886.  He married Maria Kiely (Kelly?) who was born in 1838 and died in 1874.

They had children:
AMY (1870-1891).  She married Jack Pigott in 1890 and died possibly in childbirth.
JAMES CHARLES (1863-1928).  He married Maud Squance in 1894 in England.  An army man in England most of his life.
AGNES (1866-1943).  She married Francis Fahy in 1891 and lived in England.

Great-grandfather Patrick may have had a wife before Maria, because he had a daughter, Kate, who was born in 1850 and died in 1936 in England.  She was known to be James's and Agnes's step-sister.  She ran a hotel in Lisdoonvarna for a time, maybe in the 1890s.

My project in retirement is to trace my Duff lineage back from great-grandfather Patrick Duff to wherever it leads me.  My father once told me our Duff lineage originated in Scotland, possibly Banffshire.  I've tried one or two sources and haven't been able to find any Duffs in Limerick or Clare at all!

Any help from any source would be gratefully received.

Chris Duff
Chris
Researching Blackhall, Cox, Duff, Farlow, Hallifax, Herdman, McCrae, Morison, Murison

Offline L23

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The DUFFS of Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 05 18:14 BST (UK) »
I have came across the following on my search for my McInerney ancestors.  You may already have, but hope it is of some use.  Good luck with your search  :)

Clare 1901 Census - Ennistimon Town: Bogberry Street

Duff Michael Head of Family 62 Shoemaker Widower

Duff Denis Son 23 Male Farm Servant Not Married

Duff Kate Daughter 19 Female Domestic Servant Not Married

Duff Patrick Son 17 Male Shoemaker Not Married

There are Duff's on the CBS Ennistymon School Register.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/ennistymon_cbs/d_e.htm

I have came across these in various directories.  There may be connection with your Duffs and Limerick, although I could not see any on the Limerick City Census 1901

Clare Lisdoonvarna Guys Directory 1893 - Miss Duff - Grocers

Limerick City Bassett Directory 1877 - Duff Sarah Kate - Academies & Schools - Nicholas Street

Limerick City Slater Directory 1870 - Duff Susan - Shopkeepers - Nicholas Street

Offline L23

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 05 18:16 BST (UK) »
Also... This webpage could be useful..

Sir James Duff Military Commander in Limerick in 18th century

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/m/macduff2.html

Also have the following ... Peter Duff m. Hanneh Russell at St Johns Church in Limerick City in c1750.  They had at least 2 children Peter & Charles.

Hope this is of use

Offline Chris Duff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 00:18 BST (UK) »
You've been busy!  The only Duff I can relate to is Kate Duff, who was in Lisdoonvarna in 1893.  She is my great-aunt and was the only child of my great-grandfather, Patrick Duff, and his first wife.  She was born in 1850 or thereabouts.  We don't know her mother's name or what became of her.  We can only guess she died in childbirth, because Kate had no siblings and Patrick married again to produce three more children.

Kate's birth year is estimated because we know how old she was when she died.  We know nothing about her father Patrick before 1860.  After this date we know he was a sergeant-clerk in the army barracks at the castle in Limerick city.  For the life of me, I can't get any further back than 1860.  Any suggestions, anybody?

Chris Duff

Chris
Researching Blackhall, Cox, Duff, Farlow, Hallifax, Herdman, McCrae, Morison, Murison