Author Topic: Alston Gravestones  (Read 27548 times)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alston Gravestones
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 22 March 09 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thought I might add my Alston brick wall here... Looking for Hannah Bailes born c1800 in Alston (according to her one birthplace mention in census returns). She moved to Liverpool and married Ralph Johnson Sedgwick. She died 1856. I have found evidence of a John & Joseph Bailes from Alston of the same generation. I also found a marriage between Caleb bailes & Nancy Teasdale, occurring a couple of years after Hannah's estimated birth.

If anyone has access to more Alston records than is available online, I'd really appreciate the help

Impy
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, have now found Hannah... I expected IGI's soudex to include likely variants of Bailes, but a search for Bales threw up other results. I have now found Hannah Bailes (baptised Bales) born 1798, daughter of Jacob Bales & Sarah Elliott. Though Jacob's baptism isn't listed, the birth names of his firstborn children indicate that he was nson of John Bailes & Hannah Little (John & Hannah's other children also had very biblical names).

If anyone has anything useful from Alston on any of these people, I'd be very grateful

Impy
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline LaurieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 03 April 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
I have the full transcription of the Alston Gravestones

Terry, I don't know how easy it is to look these up, but if you are able/willing, I have INDIANs who died in Alston. Elizabeth, Margaret, and Susan died in 1836, 1833, and 1831 respectively, but I suspect there are quite a few more (or shall I say I *hope* there are). Thank you.

Adam, I notice you don't have the name INDIAN listed. Were there a lot of headstones that are now illegible? I cannot visit, so I've no idea what the cemeteries are like. Also, in visiting cemeteries, do you know if many graves are unmarked? I've visited many in the US that are in terrible condition, and others where the stones have simply become worn over time; also, in some, there are few marked graves, in others mostly marked, and that changes over time with more in place today than 100 or even 50 years ago. Thank you.
INDIAN: Counties Durham & Cumberland, England 1700-1900
SIMS, HUMPHREY / HUMPHREYS: Glamorgan, Wales
DICICCO: Sant'Elia Fiumerapido, Italy, 1700-1900

Offline Adamand

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 03 April 09 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Laurie. Yes, most of the headstones in the graveyard are unreadable.
I think it is because they were made if a poor type of stone of that area that did not weather very well.
I did not see any Indian gravestones although there may have been some once upon a time.
As for the Forster stones! I have posted inscriptions for Foster at Lanchester post 121, Etherley post 14, Willington post 1, Tow law post 45, Crook post 35.
There are  more at other graveyards so I think you have problems.
One problem that you will have is between FORSTER/FOSTER
Here is an example from Brancepeth:-
In memory of Elizabeth, daughter of John and Mary FORSTER of Brandon, who died September/28/1834 aged 18 years.
Also the above John FOSTER who died November/24/1835 aged 52 years.
So Foster and Forster mistake on the same gravestone.

Adam

Offline LaurieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 03 April 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam, and thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to tell me a little more of the cemetery's condition. As for Forster, I noticed right off in the census that I was going to have a problem, and you've just confirmed it for me! There are so many of them, and with Foster tossed into the mix, it gets a lot more complicated.

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 04 April 09 08:01 BST (UK) »
Laurie..
I can agree with Adam that there are no (readable) enscriptions for Indian in Alston & I have looked at the other graveyards in the area….. Nenthead & Carrigill & there are none there either. I also looked at the pre civil registration marriages in Alston & again none, though this was only Church of England so any marriages could have been in another Church. There were 2 Church of England baptisms, William 9 July 1813 & Margaret 12 July 1815 both of Thomas & Susannah Indian. I can recall seeing them on the census, I presume you have all that information.

Are you aware that images of the Bishops Transcripts for Alston Parish are on the new LDS pilot site?

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline LaurieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 05 April 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Terry. At least I can rule out cemetery inscriptions as a source.

Yes, I have spent quite a bit of time going throught the Bishops Transcripts. locating many records for the Indians.

Laurie

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 16:13 BST (UK) »