Author Topic: Newcastle advice please  (Read 3799 times)

Offline littlewren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcastle advice please
« on: Tuesday 15 January 08 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I have just begun studying one branch of my family, I have traced them back to Newcastle through the census. I do not know the north east at all. I have the opportunity of spending two hours in Newcastle (taking son on steam train in February). I would like to look up some marriages if possible. I thought they would be in Newcastle central library but it looks like it is being redeveloped. Could someone please tell me if there is somewhere in central Newcastle where I could look at parish records? {particularly All Saints, Newcastle about 1840s}.

Also could anyone recommend a bookshop in the centre which sells local history books (recommendations welcome - particularly interested in social history Newcastle, Sunderland 1700-1860, history and explanation of glass industry and old maps of Newcastle. I have tried reading things on Genuki (which I think is a brilliant site) but struggling due to lack of local knowledge.

Many thanks.
Little wren.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle advice please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 16:40 GMT (UK) »
http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/visit.htm

Hiya Little wren

Try the link above.  I haven't been yet, but it's on my list of things to do.  The Discovery museum is free, and has lots of displays, and Tyne and Wear Archives is right next door to it.  It looks like a good day out, but I don't think two hours will do it :)

I bought a video in a shop on the quayside, with lots of old photos of Newcastle on it.  They had lots of books about Newcastle, the dialect etc.  I'm sure most of the bookshops in Newcastle will have local books in there.

Have a good day

Rosemary

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 17:09 GMT (UK) »

The Tyne & Wear Archives which shares Blandford House with the Discovery Museum, is Tyne & Wear's equivalent of a County Record Office.

T&W Archives has accessible film for just about every church in the area, from beginning to modern-ish times, including All Saint's .

Rosemary's link will reveal the A-Z of T&W Archives... including opening times, that to be sure of getting a filmreader it is necessary to book, and the appropriate user guides.. e.g. what church records are available for what period.

Did you think that a place the size of Newcastle could do without a central library because of "redevelopment" ?

The Centraql library was closed/demolished ? over a year ago... but all the facilities that were available there, were resited to other venues...

For e.g. The Local and Family History Section was temporarily relocated to the Civic Centre complex ( fairly near to Haymarket Metro station) in the basement.

Here there are available transcriptions and abbreviated indexes of many church records.. including All Saints.  But these mainly cover periods before 1837, and are available in book form and/or microfiche.  Booking not necessary.

The Northumberland County Record Office, now situated at Woodhorn near Ashington, holds most Newcastle parishes records ( although Newcastle is no longer in Northumberland) Booking necessay to get filmreader.

Did you notice within the GenUKI web site that within each individual parish, under " Church Records", there is a list of all churches, including " non-conformists", and where these records are held. The All Saint's page, also mentions that Gateshead Library holds some records.

Books....

You might need to buy ten books to get idea of social history of Newcastle.. plus another load for Sunderland...

Newcastle Library... in the Civic Centre ( as is the Newcastle Register Office) has such books to sell....  The Sunderland Tourist Centre, Fawcett St, Sunderland ditto.

Save money and shoe leather and find out about the areas, by browsing the internet. !

Another good source are Trade Directories, which contain history, church, industry, and times of high tide, etc on all areas.

Michael Dixon
Newcastle

Michael

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 21:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a very DVD that I see on eBay now called "Tyneside Through the Ages" for about £6 that I found quite interesting.  I purchased it last year.  It starts with the Roman's and continues through modern times about 1990 with original footage from the times.  If you don't want to go through alot of books and just want a synopsis of history.  It hits the area and not just Newcastle.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littlewren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosemary, Michael and Janis for your advice. I have booked a reader at the Tyne and Wear Archives, there is a nice map on the site and it does not look far from the station. The Discovery museum does look very interesting but I am not going to be too ambitious. I will keep an eye out for the DVD "Tyneside through the Ages". I have found that after a visit to a place I can have a much better understanding of information on the internet - I am hoping the same will be true of Newcastle. Looking forward to February now.

Thanks again.
Little Wren.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I might try and make it myself one weekend, now you've got me interested again. ;D

Let me know if it's far from the station when you've been.  I usually drive to Newcastle, but it would be nice to go on the train - I could read a book on the way, and just relax.

Rosemary

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 19:26 GMT (UK) »
It's about 5-10 mins  walk from the station  :)

You'll love Newcastle - well I have since I first lived here 39 years ago. It's why I came back  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Littlewren, Waterstones bookshop is right beside greys monument at the top of Grey street,  come out of the central station, cross the road and bear right and take the 1st left and thats grainger st, go all the way up to the greys monument and turn right onto Grey St and Waterstones is on your left, regards Malcolm

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 January 08 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Do they not sell books in the Discovery Centre about Newcastle? 

Just trying to save you time Little Wren :)

Rosemary