Author Topic: Newcastle advice please  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle advice please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 January 08 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes they do. Waterstones by the Monument is good but it is a 'Waterstones' and doesn't have the full range of local history, etc. books.

She could get the Metro from Central Station to Monument , to save time, if she wanted to have a more general look around the centre and shops  :D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 January 08 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Robinsons bookstall in the covered Grainger Market stocks a good range of recent local history publications.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 January 08 18:17 GMT (UK) »
..and that's pretty close to Waterstones and Monument station  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline littlewren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 January 08 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the further advice, Rosemary, Gadget and Peter. I think I shall try the Discovery centre first for books then if ...we have time Grainger Market and Waterstones. I am just hoping the steam train is not cancelled nor running late. My son has found out more information about it and apparently it is going to go at about 75 miles an hour on the east coast main line - something we have not yet experienced. It is going to be a very long day. My son does not like crowds so going to shops is only possible if I know where I am going so I am very grateful for the directions. As I have so little leads to go on with this family I am really keen to get some local history books.

Many thanks little wren.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 January 08 11:29 GMT (UK) »
little wren,

you should get out more..... trains from say London to Newcastle ( 262 miles) do an AVERAGE speed of OVER 80 mph (3 hrs journey time)

And on a straight stretch of the track near Northallerton trains do well over 100mph.

Michael Dixon
Anorak Trainspotter
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline littlewren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I just thought I would post an update on my trip to Newcastle. We went on Saturday 2nd February, I must admit after the weather on Friday I was quite apprehensive about us getting there at all! Anyway, we had a really early start - had to be out of the house at 05.45 as we had to walk into Manchester to catch the train (when I booked it the provisional departure time was 7.30 but was resheduled to 06.37 from Manchester Victoria). Snow lay on the ground, but the wind had dropped and it was so quite!! My son has never been out at this time before. Halfway there it started to snow. We arrived quite puffed out and I was somewhat regretting...... but a memory to store as we arrived just in time to pant up the platform to have a look at the engine "Duke of Gloucester", it was still dark and the glow from the firebox was something to behold. My son tells me this steam engine was the last one built for BR and we have not seen it before. Anyway had a long walk down the platform to find coach D - I do not remember steam trains in action but I do remember long trains and this one fetched back those memories as it had 12 carriages. I am not a train enthusiast myself but can highly recommend this trip (we have visited many heritage lines but their steam trains are restricted to 25 mph). The train pulled smoothly away from the platform with a haunting whistle. We were really lucky because there were some real train enthusiasts near us and they kept us informed as to what was going on - I really admire them for they are both very knowledgable and willing to share without being condescending. It brought to mind the old "Swan Vista?" advert. The engine had to make an extra "water stop" as the first place they tried the water pressure was too low this made us late - but the enthusiasts explained this was better as it allowed us to go 'fast' presumably to catch up. Anyway we arrived at York on time. We fair flew up the east coast mainline - although of course 'today's' trains easily passed us on the fast line. But I didn't care. Our seats were soft and squishy (paid extra for first class - well worth it comfortable seats and a cup of tea in a real cup), the carriage was lovely and warm, a smooth ride and the music of the wheels clattering over the rails and the distant chug of the engine without the usual squeaking and tapping you get on modern trains. Now one might be saying what has this to do with family history......well I spent much of that journey pondering on the past. Was this the way they travelled in the past? when they went from Newcastle to Lancashire? The earliest relatives did the journey sometime after 1852 and later my greatgrandfather went back up to Durham and we know he went back to visit family in Lancashire - did he use the train? My mum visited family up in Durham in the 1940's and they used the bus. All the branches of my family all moved around plenty. And on a more general note what impact had the railways on the industrial revolution and the life of this country. Back to the trip....all was fine and on time until we were 5 miles from Newcastle when we were crawling along only to come to a final halt. We were due in at 11.50. I don't know how long we were stood certainly longer than 30 mins, the driver had gone through a red light but the signal had been on the opposite side of the engine (so explained the enthusiasts). This meant he could not drive the engine any further, we had to wait for a diesel engine to come and pull us into Newcastle station. Well, I was in the company of civilized people because I heard noone complain about the train being late - it was just one of those things. Everyone had sympathy with the driver and so did I. As compensation we got to go into Newcastle station via the Highlevel bridge. I have seen Newcastle on the TV of course but the reality of it was so much more impressive and exhilarating. After alighting we hung around to watch the 'Duke' depart - it did look a little sad behind the diesel. The train back was due at 15.45 but was suppose to come into the station at 15.15, I told my son we would come back to watch it come into the station. So we, along with a fair few others were back at the station for 15.15 however nothing appeared until 15.40 and then it was the diesel - well you can imagine what my son was saying. It was a very glum lad who boarded that train ........until it started- going out of the station the opposite way to that which it had come through we heard THE WHISTLE the steam engine was at the other end. All was well. We had an uneventful journey back arriving in Manchester Victoria at 21.05. So a long day, was it worth it?

Offline littlewren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 10:20 GMT (UK) »
YES. Although I lost some of the time we had in Newcastle - because of the help from this board I knew where we were going. It took us about 15 min to find the Tyne and Wear Archives - but that was because I had to keep consulting the map. I had booked a reader for 2 O'Clock so I decided, as I could not see a clear sign for the Archives but could see a nice big sign for the Discovery Museum that we would go in there first to have a look a the books for sale. Spent 20 mins perusing their shop. Then made a really bad decision. I thought if I buy now I will have to carry so decided that we would come back after the archives, in retrospect I would have been better buying then, as usual I got engrossed and we were late coming back so I ended up forgetting to buy the old maps of Newcastle which I had intended to buy. Although I did spent £40. I bought a few books and a DVD "A history of Tyneside". We went into the Archives through the museum which was quite busy. The Archives was very quiet - only four people but the helpful man said that was unusual. He showed me where the parish records were, showed me the catalogues for them. Then patiently explained how to work the reader. Also had a look at some trade directories and a book on Glass which had a really helpful paragraph to me about the decline of the glass industry in Newcastle which might explain why my ancestors left the northeast for Lancashire (they were glassmakers). (I was happy happy happy.) Knowing myself, I had decided that I was only going to look for the one marriage which I found and got a photocopy of (50p). Now, I do know that I could have sent off for the marriage certificate but there is something more personal to me to track the parish records down. I also checked for the following year baptism records for that church but found nothing. By then I had over-run and it was time to return. The Archives is one medium room with tables and chairs, with a smaller room off to one side where the readers were. There are lockers and a place to put your coat. The room is nice and airy and light, the only down side was there must have been a popular part of the museum overhead as you could hear children running up and down (did not bother me but annoyed my son a bit - he was trying to read his steam train magazine).
So all in all, I loved Newcastle. We have booked a family holiday in Berwick this summer and hope to have another day out to Newcastle then. Hopefully I will have read these books and watched the DVD so will have an idea what to look out for. Thanks again to those who gave me advice - it certainly helped me get the most out of the little time I had.

Littlewren.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Glad you enjoyed your day out littlewren ;D
I'm going this weekend, but just for Primark shopping with my daughters - that'll be fun :(

Rosemary

Offline littlewren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Happy shopping this weekend Rosemary. I wonder if in 200 years time the Primark phenomena will be studied by future historians. My daughter also likes Primark.

Little wren.