Author Topic: MacDonald Mickle - Strath 1747  (Read 1917 times)

Offline cutter43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacDonald Mickle - Strath 1747
« on: Tuesday 15 January 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

It's amazing the issues one has for it's only been 260 years.

I'm seeking info on:

"Directory of Scots Banished To The American Plantations, 1650 - 1775" page 103.

MacDonald, Alexander 24. Merchant, Mickle - Strath, Ross. Jacobite in Cromarty's regiment. Prisoner at Inverness, ships and Medway, transported in 1747?

I believe Alexr. to be my ancestor. We also believe, according to family lore, that he was a marchent, a Jacobite, fought at Culloden Mor and was deported to the colonies on the ship Gildart, which left Liverpool 5 May 1747 to the colonies. Cannot find any info on 'Medway'.

I have not been able to get access to "the prisoners of the '45", which might provide some insight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim McDonald

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MacDonald Mickle - Strath 1747
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 January 08 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Jim,

I have a copy of "Prisoners of the '45, Cromarty's Regiment" a booklet in the records at the Ullapool Museum, extracted from a larger book, perhaps the one you found your data on Alexander in, it has 225 people listed, mostly from Cromarty's, and a few from Glengarry's whose residence looks to have been in Lochbroom Parish.

"Mickle" I take for "muckle", meaning big or large, "Strath" was a wide and long valley.

Though there are other big straths in Scotland my guess is your Alexander was from the one in Lochbroom, given Cromarty recruited a large part of his regiment in the area.

You wrote:

I believe Alexr. to be my ancestor. We also believe, according to family lore, that he was a marchent, a Jacobite, fought at Culloden Mor and was deported to the colonies on the ship Gildart, which left Liverpool 5 May 1747 to the colonies.

The Regiment fought in a number of battles in the Rebellion, then were ordered north to Sutherland and Caithness, with a side trip to Orkney, to recruit, and attempt to recover a ship load of gold from the French that had been captured by the Hanoverians there. They captured Dunrobin Castle in the last siege battle that has been fought on the mainland of Britain.

They were ordered south to Inverness where a major battle was expected, and set out the day before the Battle of Culloden... the officers tarried at the Castle, the privates, likely including your Alexander (and some of my relatives) were captured leaderless on the road, and while the Earl parlayed in the castle one of the Sutherlanders lied to the bodyguards below that the Earl had surrendered and unlocked the gates... If the Regiment had made it to Culloden the result of that battle might have been different.

The note I have on Alexander says he was noted as held at Inverness in June, 1746, then on the prison ship Alexander & James, then on the prison ship Liberty, then at the Prison of Medway. Also has a slightly different date for his "Transportation" than you have, 20 March, 1747.

Lochbroom was mostly MacLeods and MacKenzies, but there was always a healthy sprinkling of MacDonalds; Achadh a Donnell, later Dundonnell, was south-west of the big strath, and the mountainous area between Glen Achall and Strathcanaird north-west of the big strath is mostly Ben Donald, those place names indicating the great age of the family in the area.

Hope that is some help,

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline cutter43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacDonald Mickle - Strath 1747
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 January 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donald,

Thanks so much for your reply.

The more info I get, the more confused it becomes.

I have disputed much of the family lore (Aberdeen) and started over by focusing on Inverness, Renfrew, Ross & Cromarty shires because Alexr. married Isobell McLaughlan in Old Parish, Greenock, 12 December 1720. This is the only data that is verified fact. It also seems the Mclachlan Clan is dominent in these areas.

In "Scots Banished to the American Plantations", this Alexr. is the only one with a Parish listing that could possibly be my ancestor. However, as stated before, there is another Alexr. listed as a Jacobite, transported from Liverpool on the ship Gildart, 5 May 1747 but has no reference to Parish.

I searched the ship lists before this reply and could not find any ship departing for the colonies on 20 March 1747. Here we go again. In fact, I've searched all ship lists to the colonies from 1745 to 1750 hunting for Alexr. and he is only mentioned on the 'Gildart'.

I've also checked all IGI records for the birth of Isobell (guessing around 1700) but could not find her either.

By the way, what MacDonald Clan would Alexr. belong to?

Any suggestions?

Again, thanks for your help.

Jim