Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Twinmum

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Where do I start?
« on: Wednesday 16 January 08 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I have a couple of Irish ancestors and have no idea where or how to start looking for them. I hope someone here can give me a nudge in the right direction.

John Mullen married Hororah Sadler (or Sadlier) in Melbourne Victoria Australia in 1858. I have a copy of the entry and it states his birth place as Waterford and Honorah's as Tipperary.
In July 1872 they were living in Maitland, New South Wales Australia and had a daughter Honorah Genevieve (my g grandmother) Her birth certificate says John was 46 years old and born in what looks like Terara, Sligo, Ireland and Honorah was 40 years old and born in the town of Tipperary Ireland

John died in 1917 and his death certificate states he was from Co. Waterford, his father was Terence and he (John) had been in New South Wales about 58 years and 20 years in Victoria - Which would mean he came to Australia around about 1839 at the age of 13 of 14.

Honorah's death certificate in 1903 says she had spent 2 years in South Australia, 5 years in Victoria and 41 years in New South Wales. So she would have arrived in Australia around 1855 aged 23. It listed her parents as being Philip Sadler and Bridget Reardon. I can't understand what her father's occupation is, but have incuded a pic of the word, may someone will be able to read it.

I really need to look some more to try and find them arriving in Australia and if they came with anyone, but does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking for them in Ireland?
BLACKBURN, PEARCE, BARRITT, DANIELS, FLETCHER, MOBEY, WRIGHT, BROWN, HISCOCK, BOOTHMAN, LOCKEY, SEDDON, BRINDLE, FIELD, BIRCH, DAWSON
MULLENS, HARGREAVES, BOWNESS, TAYLOR, TONGE, CROWSHAW, JACKSON, WHARTON, HOLT, CLAXTON, TOLEDANO, COX, EATTS, ANDERSON, FRANKLAND, MANNELL, SADLER, HEYS, CARR, CAVE, EGERTON, STARR, BUNTING, BEEK/BECK, MARSHALL, CLEMENT REARDON, HOWGILL. SELLARS, WOODCOCK, NUNN NUNES-MARTINES. CREASEY, BRIGHTON, BENNETT
ROSEVEAR, BOOMER, GRIGG, MENDOZA, PAINTER
NANCOLLINS, WINNON

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Lots of information here to start with which is always good.
First of all- think Philip Sadler's occupation might read as Bootmaker. Do you know if he also came to Australia or did Honorah travel on her own?
As John Mullen was very young when he arrived in Australia it might be a good idea to see if you can find any relatives there with him.
If you are looking for names of townlands and parishes in Ireland see www.thecore.com/seanruad but be sure to change default setting from exact match to search part of a name.
Before you start trying to do any research in Ireland here's a few details to keep in mind. Civil registration of birth, deaths & Catholic marriages started 1864 (from 1845 for Protestant marriages)- and all these certificates contain far fewer details than Australian certificates. First complete census for Ireland is 1901- only a few fragments of earlier ones for various places survive.
In order to find information in Ireland you will need to find church records (if they survive) and in order to do so you need to know the religion and where they lived (parish if not townland not just county)- for a place like Tipperary there might be more than one church of the correct denomination.
First place to check is LDS site (www.familysearch.org)- search there, if you haven't already, in case the families appear in IGI, etc. (but beware of submitted records which need to be verified by other sources). Then check LDS catalogue to see if church records for area have been microfilmed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 08 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Twinmum,

As you know the counties where your ancestors were born post a message about them on the appropriate boards.

Christopher