Author Topic: How do I trace a clergy man who died pre-Crockfords?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline wowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How do I trace a clergy man who died pre-Crockfords?
« on: Wednesday 05 January 05 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I an trying to find out more about an ancester who was a clergyman, but who died in 1846 i.e. before the first Crockford's clerical directory was produced.

Does anyone know of a way to trace details of clergy before that date? I know where he was vicar of (Haughton Regis in Bedfordshire). Would the diocese have any records and if so does anyone know where I contact them?

Amongst other things, I'd like to know if/ where he went to University. I know it is possible to buy CDs showing scanned images of Oxford, Cambridge etc. University records, but at over £25 each, it seems pricey when I don't know where he went and so would have to buy the lot!

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I trace a clergy man who died pre-Crockfords?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 14:12 GMT (UK) »
HI

This site has a list of Houghton Regis churches with a contact for each.  I believe that each church does have a list of its clergy so might be worth contacting the appropriate one.

http://www.lutonchurches.org.uk/html/houghtonList.htm

Regards
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Also your nearest reference library may have the Alumini Oxienses and Alumini Cantabrigenses - i've found vicars in my family from them.
The're in alphabetical order so are easy to check quickly and go back to the 1400's i think.

Bean

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a look and bean is quite right - they actually have Alumini Cantabrigenses - and I appear to have access to it! So if you give us this chap's name, I could look him up for you and at worst eliminate one possibility  :)

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline wowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Angela,

Thank you so much!

He is called John Donne (unfortunately not the very famous one.)

He married in 1817, so probably looking for an entry within a few years before that.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry wowie  :(

There are only 4 John Donne's with that spelling, all in the 1600's. Looking at all the other variants, they are much earlier or much later or have names nothing like. The nearest possibility is James Donne who entered St John's College Cambridge in the Michaelmas term 1813, but he didn't die until 1861 or later.

Very interesting archive though - I didn't realise it existed. It seems to include parents, school history, occupation history and references to other sources. Your request has been very good for my education  ::) I'm just sorry it doesn't really take you a lot further...

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline wowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Angela,

Thanks for your help anyway: it at least eliminates one source that I need to check.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 January 05 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Wowie,

I would write to Lambeth Palace library. If they can't help you with the info, they should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II