Author Topic: Rhosneigr/Llanfaelog/Maelog  (Read 14190 times)

Offline Selly Oak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rhosneigr/Llanfaelog/Maelog
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 May 09 16:44 BST (UK) »
Clematised,

I saw your posting about Llanfaelog/Rhosneigr and realised we are probably related.  My great great grandmother's name was Elinor/Eleanor and she was born in Rhosneigr in 1836.  Her father's name was William Williams a joiner who moved to Holyhead in around 1850.  Your grandfather must have been her brother.  Do you know anything about the family in Rhosneigr/Llanfaelog/Maelog?  My great great grandmother lived the rest of her life in Holyhead and had 14 children, married to man called Owen Owens.

Offline clematised

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 May 09 17:45 BST (UK) »
I have to go out soon and will be back late tonight .
I do not have a lot of information but anything that we can help each other with could be good for both of us.

I would like to PM to you but you must post three messages on the rootschat board before you can get your PMs Private messages that we can send to each other so add a couple meore messages on this thread and that should be fine as I see this is your first post.

Edna
Scotland and Liverpool Wilson,Conning,Cooper.Marshall
Cumberland,Liverpool, Anderson,Harrison
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.
Hollyhead anglesey,Wales, Liverpool, Jones,Williams
Llangwyfan,Aberffraw. Hughes/Griffiths

Offline Selly Oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 May 09 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello again Clematise
Tracking down my great great grandmother has been real detective work!  I knew from grandmother that she came Rhosneigr to Holyhead when she was 14 and was married by her 17th birthday.  But I didn't know her maiden name and didn't realise that Rhosneigr was Llanfaelog.  So I looked up all 5 Rhosneigr Elinors/Eleanors in the 1841 Anglesey census and found the one that was in Holyhead in 1851.

Once I found William Williams was a joiner it all fell into place.  We still have a chair and a chest of drawers made by him in my family. 

Elinor appears to have been one of 8 children:
Richard 1821, John 1826, Elizabeth 1825, William 1828, Peter 1830, Hugh 1834, Elinor 1836, Thomas 1837.  Their parents were Elizabeth and William Williams, both born in the late 1790s.   

I was interested to read about the lady that's surname was Griffith.  A maternal relative perhaps?

Elinor died in 1926, having had 14 children and 3 husbands.  I have a picture of her in the 1880s but none of her siblings.

Look forward to hearing from you.  By my calculation you must count as a 3rd cousin of my late father's.

Offline Selly Oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 May 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
I think I found William and Elizabeth Williams on the 1871 census living by themselves and with William still shown as a joiner.

Offline clematised

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 May 09 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hello again Selly Oak
I have sent you a couple of PMs but it was difficult to put too much info on them so I have sent you mu e mail address.

Edna
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.

Offline jackdog85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Selly Oak and Clematised,
I joined this forum after Googling Rhosneigr and William Williams, and immediately saw that this thread was about people from my tree.
I'd be grateful if either of the two of you would reply. I know it's a long time since the original discussion, but I believe at least one of you may still be posting on these boards.
Thanks,
Phil

Offline clematised

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil,

Its been a while since I looked at the tree but what would you like to know.
You need to post three messages on the board before you can use the PM system (personal message)

Edna
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.

Offline jackdog85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Edna, thanks for replying.
Well, I already learned a couple of things from this thread - the 1841 and 1851 census entries for Ellinor Williams and family, so thanks for that.
My direct ancestor was Hannah Owen(s), sister of the Owen Owen(s) who married Ellinor Williams. Their daughter, Elizabeth Owen, married John Thomas and moved to Ashton in Makerfield. She was a cousin of my great grandmother, Jane Owen, who also moved to AinM. A lot of Owen and Owens names! Many Owens also married unrelated Owens to add to the confusion.
What I have never found is a correct census entry for Owen Owen and Ellinor in 1871.  Owen died in 1879, according to Holyhead parish records, and as you know Ellinor had two further husbands. An elderly relative of the Owen-Thomas family originally told me some of his ancestors came from Rhosneigr and were involved in running a pub, called, he said the Blue Bell?
I wondered if you had got any further back than William Williams, father of Ellinor? I found a baptism for Ellinor on the LDS site, but it's not possible to pick out the correct marriage for her parents.
The furthest I have got back with the Owen Owens link is his father and mother, Richard Owen/Hannah Jones, who were born around 1800 and married in 1820 at Llanfaes, near Beaumaris, where all their children, including Hannah and Owen, were born.
Sorry to ramble on, and I'd be glad to hear if you can help with any of this.
Cheers,
Phil

Offline clematised

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
I will try and make contact with Selly Oak later today as he has a really good tree, I don't have what he has as I just do direct lines so I will see if he can help you further.

There is a book about the area with photo's which has been posted on this site before by the Author so try finding it in the search box under Rhosneigr, also post one or two more messages so you can then be contacted by PM

Edna
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.