Author Topic: Draper, Elliott and Taylor - fairground folk at Barnet Fair  (Read 5884 times)

Offline stevewdraper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Draper, Elliott and Taylor - fairground folk at Barnet Fair
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My family are Drapers.
My Great Grandfather was Goliath,
he was born in St Neots
He married carolina
They lived on a barrel wagon.
I have pics if yu are interested

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stevewdraper

That's great news - love to see them. I'm sending you a personal message separately.

Best wishes
Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline asorrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 February 10 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My great granmother was an Elliott, possible sister to Solomon and Thomas. Her name was Annie or Anna Maria, born 1879 died 1940. She was involved in the boxing booth side of things and was well known for taking on all comers and winning. She was  the daughter of edward and  possibly Annie Elliott, he was a licensed Hawker.
She married William Smith, a horse dealer from Lavenham Suffolk, in Ipswich in 1896. It looks like both the Smith and Elliott families lived next door to each other in Bramford Road, Ipswich.
Although once she married she seemed to settle down in Hertfordshire. Several of her children married into travelling families Harris, Swallow, Gess and decendants of these still travel with the fair to this current day. One still using the family coconut shy of Mrs E Harris.
Would love to be able to confirm the connection between her and Solomon as I know her other brother was Thomas and to see if anyone knows of any other siblings to them.
Cheers
A

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi asorrell

Interesting to hear about the Elliott/Smith marriage in Ipswich, as I have Suffolk/Norfolk Smiths in my tree too, intermarrying with the Barnet Fair Drapers and Taylors.

Do you have the marriage certificate of William and Annie? If so, could you let me know the name of William's father, please?

Many thanks.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline asorrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

From what I have gleaned from the census and the marriage certificate for William & Annie, his father was called Harry Smith who marries Catherine . He was the son of William Smith who married Hannah. In both the 1881 & 1891 census the Smith family are shown as living at Market Place, Lavenham, Suffolk and are Horse, cattle and pig Dealers; before that in 1861 Harry is with his parents who are Ag Labs in Steeple Bumstead, Essex.

Hope this helps

Alison