Author Topic: "The Diamond" - COMPLETED  (Read 4864 times)

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
"The Diamond" - COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 17 January 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
                                  The diamond

How can I find any information on this please...from both sides.

really looking for old documents and where they are situated.

Any information please ,

as it will no dought help me and others.

Thank you

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "The Diamond"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 08 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what your question is in relation to. In Ireland geographically 'the diamond' is a place where roads meet, often in the centre of a town. Coleraine for example has The Diamond (old Town Hall is in mieddle of it) in the centre of town.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 08 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Agadowey

I know this is a battle in Lougall ,Armagh in 1795

I have been trying in recent weeks to consolidate all the information I have found( on the old puter )....in these past years.......and I have documents that mentioned "the Diamond" on googling realized my family are traveling backwards on two religions.

Would really like to know how I can find out more .........as obviously this entanglement (bloody blood bath).............would probably be well documented.

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 05:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure what your question is in relation to. In Ireland geographically 'the diamond' is a place where roads meat, often in the centre of a town. Coleraine for example has The Diamond (old Town Hall is in mieedle of it) in teh cetre of town.

Hello aghadowey,

The Diamond, in the townland of Grange O'Neiland, is an extremely well known location in Ulster's history. Dan Winter's Cottage, known as the Birthplace of Orangeism, is located close to where the Battle of the Diamond took place. www.orangenet.org/winter/map.html

Steve, Colonel William Blacker (1777-1853) wrote an eye-witness account of the "Battle
of the Diamond". The Armagh County Museum and the Public Records Office in Belfast
hold some records relating to the Battle. .

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 14:03 BST (UK) »
Christopher- this posting started in 'Ireland- General' and there are many places called 'The Diamond' in Ireland. The original posting was quite vague until stevenson clarified the location she was looking for.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 15:40 BST (UK) »
"Both sides" point towards a battle of some sort and not a centre of a town which usually has three or four sides at least. Old documents point towards a century or more ago 8)
Googling "Diamond in Ireland" produces a lot of irrelevant items but the third one on the list is "Battle of the Diamond (1795, Ireland) -- Britannica Online ..."