Author Topic: tracing your roots through DNA  (Read 5907 times)

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: tracing your roots through DNA
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 September 23 07:02 BST (UK) »
I have had my DNA researched on Ancestry. I haven't discovered anything new or any relatives either. However, I do have 3% Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Germanic Europe 2%. Can I assume I have Vikings as ancestors or is that my romantic imagination?

As far as I know, I have no Scandinavian relations.

I have 5% Scandinavian ethnicity and zero family from there in the last seven generations that I have found. It is the way it is with how Ancestry manipulates their data.

A eminent genealogist calculated that some 98% of europeans (non endogamous) have lineage to King Edward III. 

Once at KE III if one goes back through the generations you will find that there is a direct link to Rollo The Viking so yes in answer to your question ……. You Are A Viking

Offline redkop

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Freddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 September 23 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for answering my question Biggles50

My son looks like one atm  :)
MCLENNAN - Inverness Scotland and Liverpool
WHITTAKER - Offaly Ireland
MILLER. HURST, BALL. DUTTON. BIBBY, MORGAN, GASKELL - Liverpool
ELLIS - Plymouth, Devon
COLLINS - Bishops Castle, Shropshire.
MASON. MILLER - Runcorn/Chester
ROWLAND - Widnes, Lancs.
CHARLTON - Bury, Lancs
GREGGS - Cumbria
BRISCOE - SHERLOCK - Cheshire
VOCE - Warrington, Lancs

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 September 23 14:04 BST (UK) »
Y-DNA is something of a lottery, but when it has results they are good. I am involved in three projects. My brother has no matches nearer than 2,000 years ago. He is I-M253. I have bought further SNPs to no avail.
I tested my husband (I-M223) because he has a common name and I was stuck in Derbyshire. His results (nobody of the same surname) took me back firmly to North Staffordshire. More recently his closest matches are a family called Boyd, who emigrated from Scotland or Northern Ireland to America in the early to mid 1700s, yet FTDNA gives a relationship within a couple of hundred years, not pre surname as I originally assumed. So how did the Boyds come to be related to at least two different surnames in North Staffordshire? We are still working on it.
My mother's family, Broadley from Lancashire, my cousin and I had researched back to the 1650s, still in Lancashire. The Y-DNA took us back to Halifax in Yorkshire. Our branch is now back to 1490 but we know from the Y-DNA that the originator of the Broadley family was John Broadley, Constable of Ovenden in 1362, many of whose descendants, especially in America, are now called Bradley. There is much more to learn, but it has been a great success, thanks to Andrew Booth, who started the Y-DNA project. (R1B L21, etc)
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)