Author Topic: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn  (Read 82624 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn
« Reply #36 on: Friday 08 August 08 10:28 BST (UK) »
Jings Dave,

Lora is going to be looking for a 'beardy' ever time she goes graveyarding!

I think you'll need do the 'wearing a red carnation, kiss me quick hat and hovering about in Section X' trick if she's to recognise you!!

Graveyards are certainly busy places these days with folk like us contstantly wandering around in them.

Anne  ;D

damnonii

« Reply #37 on: Friday 08 August 08 21:00 BST (UK) »
I think you're right Dave, it would just be a technicality putting it on the Renfrewshire forum and will probably lead to confusion, although I did mean just to link it here, not try and start a new thread.  People will hopefully search, and you say you'll spot if anyone posts about Cathcart anyway.  

Lora is going to be looking for a 'beardy' ever time she goes graveyarding!

I think you'll need do the 'wearing a red carnation, kiss me quick hat and hovering about in Section X' trick if she's to recognise you!!

while I'm sure he'd look very fetching, I think the polis might get there before I do ;D

How about a mutual code.  The crow flies North tonight...

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,
after quite a while I have managed to get Lair numbers for the grave I was looking for in Cathcart Cemetery. If you are still photographing there some time I would really appreciate it. Maybe this is a summer job, it is probably too cold  just now.
Anyway,
Lair No. 1401 section 2E
It apparently says
In Loving memeory of Annie Gunn and her children
John, Peter and Catherine beloved wife of Hugh Munro
also her son Willian John Gunn a beloved husband and father and Grandfather
Died 6th June 1994

The other one is Lair No. 1373 section N it it are
Samuel Gunn age 2
Jessie Gunn age 2
Doanld Gunn age 15
William Donald Gunn age 41
Agnes McDonald
Dolina McPhee age 19
Samuel McPhee age 44.
Not sure if there is a headstone there or not, probably not and I have no idea who Agnes McDonald was, will have to do some more checking. It is a name I haven't come across before.

Thanks again

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

damnonii

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Winni

I'm glad you got the details.  I've been keeping the Gunn's in mind but never spotted them. 

If there was a stone in N there's good chance it's lying flat, N is a mess.  2E is in the modern section so I don't think there will be any problems.   

I can take photos for you, probably at the weekend.  It's been quite nice weather actually (despite the cold and ice)

Lora

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Lora,
I was just wondering if the one in the N could maybe be a paupers grave. I  just wondered because of this Agnes McDonald who I am still trying to track down.
Thanks again but please have a look when the weather isn't too bleak.Wouldn't want you to catch cold.  ;D  ;D

wini

damnonii

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 00:04 GMT (UK) »
In my g-grandparent's grave there are 2 unrelated burials and it turns out they were neighbours.  Apparently selling lair space was a common way of supplementing income.  Of course it would help if you had Agnes's date of burial then you could find her death cert. thankfully I was given that so it made it easy.

I think the Gunn's probably owned the lair.  If it was a pauper's grave I think there would be more unrelated burials, and all from around the same time if they just filled it up as the space was needed.  I don't think they would hold it for other family members since the family didn't own it.

Lora

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping you had given me a way of soving the problem with Agnes. I have tried the 1901 Census
but no McDonalds.
The McPhees in that lair Dolina and Samuel are the brother and sister of Annie Gunn in the other lair, she died in 1947, the older lair is from the early 1900's
Will keep looking.

wini

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Wini,
What are the dates of death of the others in lair 1373?

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

damnonii

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wini

I should have said we walk our dog there anyway so deciding whether to brave the cold or not isn't an option lol. 
I took a wander round section N this afternoon, not expecting to find a stone, but there is! It was erected by the police to William Donald. Unfortunately  this means it doesn't give any clues as to Agnes McDonald's identity and of course the others in the lair aren't commemorated either which I find quite sad. 

The light was low and I only had my mobile camera as well as the stone being pretty hard to read, but considering the pics aren't too bad so I'll post them anyway.  I'll take the good camera next time, and do it in the morning. 

As far as I can make out the inscription reads:
In Memory of
Constable William Gunn
Glasgow City Police
Died 8th October 1913
Aged 40 years

A token of esteem
by the members of the
Queen's Park Division

Will make my way over to 2E as well of course at some point. 

Lora