Author Topic: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn  (Read 82600 times)

damnonii

Re: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn
« Reply #72 on: Monday 13 April 09 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, hope you don't mind me asking, I was just wondering if you know what the 2 dates on the stone mean?  I've never seen anything worded like that before.  Annie died 1st Jan 1910, and the lair was purchased in February.  What does the August 1941 date refer to?  Was her body moved to or from Buenos Aires?   ???

Offline SteveBUK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 13 April 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
Lora

I suspect only Annie Harper is buried in the grave. Annie was her daughter, she died following a riding accident in Buenos Aires, where she had lived since 1930, and was buried in the Chacarita Cemetery there - she was only 36. John Dickie was her husband, he died in London, but I do not know for sure what happened to his body.

Kind regards

Steve

Offline SteveBUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 13 April 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
I should have said Annie died in Buenos Aires in 1941 and John in London in 1948 and Anne Harper in Glasgow in 1910

Steve

damnonii

« Reply #75 on: Monday 13 April 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
I see now, the wording confused me and because mother and daughter were both Annie, silly me.  It's very sad they both died fairly young.   :-[

Offline ozirose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 23 April 09 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Lora

If you go walking through Cathcart again could you please see if you can find the headstone of my great grandfather, Albany Peat Barr.  He is buried in Section Q, Lair 945, along with his wife Janet A. Barr.
Also his daughter Elanor Peat Barr in Lair 946. And any other Barrs who may be buried nearby?

Our family moved to Australia a long time ago and I have just started our Family History.

Thanks so much

Rosie

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 23 April 09 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Lora,
You deserve a medal for all the walking you have done for us Cathcart Cemetery people.
You must have the fittest dog on Glasgow. :) :) :)

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

damnonii

« Reply #78 on: Thursday 23 April 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Lora

If you go walking through Cathcart again could you please see if you can find the headstone of my great grandfather, Albany Peat Barr.  He is buried in Section Q, Lair 945, along with his wife Janet A. Barr.
Also his daughter Elanor Peat Barr in Lair 946. And any other Barrs who may be buried nearby?

Our family moved to Australia a long time ago and I have just started our Family History.

Thanks so much

Rosie

Hello Rosie, I will have a look next time I'm there.  The name seems familiar. I have this Barr on my computer in Section Q.784-5 just now.  It's not letting me post the attachment for some reason but it's John and Mary Barr, son William Hewat (KIA 1917) and granddaughter Moira Neill.  There might be more on Dads computer I'll check later, have to get going just now. 

Hi Lora,
You deserve a medal for all the walking you have done for us Cathcart Cemetery people.
You must have the fittest dog on Glasgow. :) :) :)

wini

Haha that did make me laugh!  She used to be fit, but age and a love of food has gotten the better of her.  She just ambles and has a lie down while the mad humans take pictures.  :D

damnonii

« Reply #79 on: Thursday 23 April 09 19:06 BST (UK) »
Here are the pics Rosie.  I didn't see any other Barrs in the immediate vicinity - is there anyone in particular you're looking for? I will pm you and arrange sending full size copies.  Lora :)

Offline ozirose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 24 April 09 01:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, Lora, for your time and trouble.
I am very impressed with the pics!

Rosie