Author Topic: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn  (Read 82611 times)

Offline southwoodside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
Oh, right. I thought since I was notified...ah, now I see. I used other forums before and they only notified me if the reply was for me personally. Anyway, thanks for this. I am going to contact various sources about lair info. btw the details of the monument are:
Margaret and Annie Brown (1888) with a double relief portrait of the girls. I've recently had a look but, like you say, it's a huge graveyard. It was made by Pittendrigh Macgillivray a renowned sculptor.

Offline cathy1075

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 16:54 BST (UK) »

Back on the trail of my Edgars. Can anyone tell me in what years the Old Cathcart Cemetery was used?  Looking for Jane Edgar nee Smith died between 1851 and 1855 and James Edgar (her husband) died 1874 in Cathcart. I very much doubt if they had a headstone but who and where would details of the burial be, East Renfrewshire Council or elsewhere?  Have a trip coming up in May and if I know where to look might have a go at it.  Thanks
Robeena during your trip in may can look for any Urie's buring there?  Don't spend alot of time only if you come across them.  Thanks, Cathy

Offline southwoodside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 18:18 BST (UK) »
@Cathy1075, there's a Thomas Urie in Cathcart cemetary, died 1880. See www.findagrave.com. Just remembered the name somehow. A photo too.

Offline cathy1075

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I added Thomas Urie on Findagrave but thank you.  I also added 2 Mary's and James.  Someone sent me the poictures.  I'm also looking for any Main's or Mutries.  I know there are a lot more Urie's in Cathcart (could be the old churchyard) but I'm sure some of them are very hard to read.

Thanks again,

Cathy

damnonii

« Reply #112 on: Friday 23 April 10 08:38 BST (UK) »
wow I've missed a lot!  Sorry I've not been on in a while, and for some reason I've stopped getting email notifications of updates to the thread so I didn't realise.

Ok firstly @southwoodside - here you go!

I don't have a picture of the names, which are on the side of the monument, just the relief.  I'll get better pictures and the side of it for you.  My dad is very interested in McGillivary and has quite a lot of information on him if you're interested. 

@cathy1075-  Hi  ;D  I'm the person from findagrave who gave you the Urie graves.  I haven't spotted any more but I haven't been there as often as I used to.

@azmara I'll keep an eye out next time I'm there but you would be better trying to contact the council I think.  I have pictures of the following Gunn's just in case they're any relation:
James B. C and sons George Grey and John McMuldroch Gunn
Margaret Gunn wife of George Mark, d.1913
Constable William Gunn and wife Annie which a person asked for earlier in this thread.

@robeena - the big cemetery opened in 1877 so your Edgar's would be in the Old churchyard if anywhere

@Coonwarra name rings a bell but checked my hard drive and I don't have it, will note it down with the others :)

Sorry that ended up a bit of a rushed post, will come back to it later, promise! :)

Offline southwoodside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Friday 23 April 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
@damnonii:

Superb. Any rough idea in what part of the cemetary it stands ? I only recently discovered Macgillivray through the Glasgow Boys exhibition currently on at Kelvingrove Art Gallery. I have a print out from "Glasgow City of Sculpture" website which mentions a number of sites of his work in Glasgow such as in the Necropolis. Glasgow Cathedral and on the City Chambers. I intend to visit all these sites, God willing. I am even going to purchase a decent camera for this and other local history and art subjects.

Glad your father likes him. I might want to know something about Macgillivray and he might be able to help perhaps ?

Anyway, for just now, thanks for your help.

damnonii

« Reply #114 on: Friday 23 April 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
hello, I got better photos today and have marked it on the cemetery map for you so if you pm me your email address I'll send you all the info.  I forgot how nice the one in Cathcart is, though very sad.  I thought that the relief was of mother Bessie (died age 27) with daughter Margaret (died age 5).  No Annie is mentioned?  Looking at the dates it seems Bessie died not long after giving birth to Margaret. 

If you walk up from the main gate look out for another nice relief by Kellock Brown on the left of locomotive workers.  And on the Glasgow Boys theme, George Henry is actually buried in Cathcart.  Dad just came across it one day in the process of doing the war graves.  It's a very modest grave which belongs to his mother's family and barely mentions him. 
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSmid=46994750&GRid=32517829&
Stupidly we forgot to note down exactly where it is and I couldn't find it last time I tried.  It's in the middle of section 'I' somewhere I think, but because it's such an ordinary grave it doesn't stand out.

My dad has posted a small bio on McGillivray here which includes photos of 2 memorials in the Necropolis (the Allan memorial is very impressive, well worth a visit).  I think he might have some more info in files, I'm not sure.
http://scottishmonuments.s2.bizhat.com/scottishmonuments-ftopic84.html
(The missing photo is Cathcart)

I also have a couple of pictures of clay models from the Scots Magazine which I can send

sorry I'm rambling here, better shut up! 

Here's some more pictures, but as I said pm me your email address and I'll send you them all

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Saturday 08 May 10 13:34 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon all. 
It is a particularly sunny day here in Glasgow and I feel the need to escape the confines of my castle!
I've given the servants the day off and am just leaving for a visit to Cathcart Old Parish cemetery.

Armed with camera and a list of all names previously mentioned on the thread, I will attempt to scale the battlements that surround the afore mentioned kirkyard.

In passing it on Tuesday, I noticed that Glasgow Uni Archaelogical Society is carrying out a survey.  Not sure what, if anything, they will be doing by way of recording names on stones but it will be an interesting project to follow.

Quick snap of the poster on the main gate attached.

I'll report back later.

Dave  :)

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Saturday 08 May 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again folks.

Had a very pleasant wander around Old Cathcart for a couple of hours.  No need for me to clamber over any walls today as the archaeologists were in and the gate was open for the first time I can recall since I was but a lad.

Spoke to one of the archaeologists and as part of their survey, they are recording the MIs of every stone where they can.  They have scheduled another 3 weekends to complete the work.  The chap I spoke with was unsure where and when the report will be published, or whether it will be available to the public.  I do have an address for the project leader and I'll contact her soon (if not tonight).
The same chap[ tells me he is at stone 200 or so of about 240 in the churchyard - I only counted about 140???

I've jotted down the names of the legible stones for future reference should anyone else be asking.

Of the names already on the thread, I never found too many.  Some I have attached photos before.
I don't have time just now to go over the thread thoroughly but certain names jumped out at me - whether I've posted pics before or not, I've not checked.

Names I noticed are..... Smith / Miller/ Barr / Pollok / Pollock   

None of the other names mentioned in the thread were obvious so, their stones either dont exist in Cathcart Old Parish or are perhaps in Cathcart or Linn.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)