Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149744 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I know my Grandfather was a Buff in Leicester and that he was knighted in that order....Can find nothing more about him.  Any ideas where to start looking in Leicester.

His name was John Sutherland and he was born in 1882c in Dundee.

thanks

xin

Offline yve-nt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Monday 12 March 12 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have recently acquired the attached photo of my gg grandfather, Matthew Thomas Phillips (1857-1930) - who lived in Clifton, Bristol.  Unfortunately there is no information with the photo, but I think it shows him as a member of the raob.  Are you able to confirm this, please, and is there any way to tell from the photo what position he would have held in the organisation?  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Monday 12 March 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to find information about my great-grandfather. My mum has a medal presented to Bro. Percy A. Wilkinson, the letters look like CP - could that be GP? Walverden Lodge 4781, 13th November 1932. She also has a pin which says Primo, and a rather scrappy blue ribbon with the letters GLE.
He lived in Padiham, then Nelson, Lancashire, before moving to Morecambe after surviving being struck by lightning. I can remember big buffalo horns over the fireplace from when I was a child, but he died in about 1946 so that's well before my time.
Can anyone help?

Hi Missbrisc
I can't tell you much about that except it is C.P. Certified Primo (that meant he passed an exam and was able to be in charge of a lodge himself). The Walverden lodge met at the R.A.O.B. Assembly Rooms, 68 Scotland Rd, Nelson. The Lodge closed in 1962. The Blue Collar  Is also that of a Primo.
You could try
http://raob-pendle-and-district-province.webs.com/
Might get some luck
Den
Whittenbury All
Banks Smith Broomhall Willenhall
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Monday 12 March 12 17:34 GMT (UK) »
hi,

My great grandad was Edward Lynch born 1866 Huddersfield. He lived in Lowerplace Castleton Rochdale until approx 1905 and then moved to Middleton Manchester. We were told he was a buffalo member.

Please see attached pic of him. Any info of where they met or anything else would be great.

Thanks

IT WILL NOT LET ME ATTACH THE PHOTO - TOO LARGE - NEVER MIND

Hi Kevshe
Sorry It took so long but sorry I cant find anything to help you. None of the provinces you mention have websites & going by the dates it's hard to work out a lodge as there were so many in manchester & Rochdale about that time.
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Monday 12 March 12 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I know my Grandfather was a Buff in Leicester and that he was knighted in that order....Can find nothing more about him.  Any ideas where to start looking in Leicester.

His name was John Sutherland and he was born in 1882c in Dundee.

thanks

xin
Hi Xin
Sorry but without the name of a lodge I cant tell you much.
Apart from his degree is the 3rd of 4 degree's K.O.M. Knight order of Merit. Sadly the Leicester Province does not have a Website
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline Chrissyf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Friday 30 March 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Den, my father was in the buffs in the 1960's.  I've asked them if I can check out the archives, or if they can see if they have any records, but I can't get a response.  He was a PGP and a member of the GLE ROH.  His name was George  Ellarby and was a member of Wyre Lodge, the Unicorn Lodge, and a founder member of the Horace Blythe Lode in Fleetwood, Lancashire.  He was also an active member of the OBA.  He was 43 when he died, I would love to add this information to my research.  Can you help please.  By the way, My mum and I were lady gladers and made the sandwiches etc

Offline phil556

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Saturday 31 March 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Den,

I'm looking for info on a Bower Lodge No.18, I've looked on R.A.O.B websites but no joy. I have two medals one a coronation medal from 1937 and the other a Buffaloes head medal with 3 Bower Lodge clasps, they both belonged to my Great Grandfather Solomon John Cox who was from Oxfordshire and in the Royal Engineers he died in 1944 aged 37.

Cheers

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Sunday 01 April 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Den, my father was in the buffs in the 1960's.  I've asked them if I can check out the archives, or if they can see if they have any records, but I can't get a response.  He was a PGP and a member of the GLE ROH.  His name was George  Ellarby and was a member of Wyre Lodge, the Unicorn Lodge, and a founder member of the Horace Blythe Lode in Fleetwood, Lancashire.  He was also an active member of the OBA.  He was 43 when he died, I would love to add this information to my research.  Can you help please.  By the way, My mum and I were lady gladers and made the sandwiches etc
Hi Chrissyf
When I first saw this I thought I knew him, But then realised the Brother I knew was from West Herts Province. I have been to two of the lodges you mentioned both good friendly lodges.
Blackpool does have a website but not much history on there you could try emailing them
http://www.blackpool-and-fylde-pgl.com/contact-us/
I dont know much about the OBA but here is a link which might be of use
http://www.raob-chorley.org.uk/oba-2.htm
Good luck
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Sunday 01 April 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Den,

I'm looking for info on a Bower Lodge No.18, I've looked on R.A.O.B websites but no joy. I have two medals one a coronation medal from 1937 and the other a Buffaloes head medal with 3 Bower Lodge clasps, they both belonged to my Great Grandfather Solomon John Cox who was from Oxfordshire and in the Royal Engineers he died in 1944 aged 37.

Cheers
Hi Phil556
Sadly I dont know much about that lodge. The Bower Lodge 18 was a Lodge under the"Grand Oxford Banner" it met at the plough inn Wolvercote Oxford. I dont have any records I can look up for that Banner & I don't think they are still in existence .  :(
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford