Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149739 times)

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #198 on: Saturday 07 April 12 19:19 BST (UK) »
hi there, this is the first time Ive posted on here so im sorry if Ive posted in the wrong place, im wanting to know if anyone has information on a wonderful old brass lectern which is from the R.A.O.B oliver cromwell lodge, presented by primo philip dahl 1-1-19 no.77, then another plaque on the base reads presented by primo j.christy to oliver cromwell lodge nov 5th 1906, it is a large heavy piece with a brass plaque which can be turned around, one side reads LIBERTY, the other side reads STRICT. THE PART WHERE THE BOOK WOULD REST IS ALL PIERCED WITH THE r.a.o.b LETTERS AND PRESENTATION WRITING, its an amazing piece, feel free to mail me at * and i will try and send photos or ill try add a couple on here, kindest regards, daniel

Hi Daniel.
The lodge indicator board is part of the normal furniture in the Lodge. There are 2 one each end of the Lodge Room to indicate whether the lodge is in strict order or liberty hall.
I must admit I have never seen a brass one they are normally made of wood.
The lodge it came from Oliver Cromwell 77 was in the Northumberland & North East Duram Province. The Lodge closed about 1993. Although the Province does have a "Buff Club" in Sunderland.
It would be nice if you could add a pic on here if you can
Regards
Den
Whittenbury All
Banks Smith Broomhall Willenhall
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline dparker224

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Saturday 07 April 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
hi Den, thank you so much for that great information, as soon as i take a photo of the piece ill add it on  here for you to look at, wooden base measures 56cm long and overall height of piece is about 54cm high, base is 17.5cm wide. its an amazing piece, i will probably try and sell it on ebay in the next few days, hopefully someone will have use for it, kindest regards, daniel :)

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Sunday 08 April 12 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Den, This is a photo of my Great Great Grandfather, he lived in Battersea, London.  I've been trying to identify his sash and somebody suggested he could have been a Buffalo.  What do you think?

From your picture can you read what the top line says?
Den
I did get an answer from another Buff, this is his reply
"Original Grand Order of the Totally Abstinent Sons of the Phoenix
This order which appears to have existed from the mid 1800s until just after the Second World War was a temperance order having male, female and junior divisions. Their regalia consisted of a shoulder sash and large jewels for their lodge masters known as ‘grand nobles’. Serving Grand Nobles carried a phoenix topped sceptre as their badge of office. There were splits in the ‘Original Grand Order’ that led to the formation of the ‘United Order’ and ‘Ancient Order’."
So presumably "J N" stands for Junior Noble.
I hope this helps you
Den

Thanks for that Den, it's very interesting.  My G G Grandfather was born a gypsy, he settled in Battersea with his family about 1895, so I guess he made lots of life changes!

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Sunday 08 April 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Moogester.
I suppose being a traveller he may have been able to go to lodges wherever he pitched up ( I presume they had lodges all over like most fraternal organisations) There he would have found a friendly face to greet him.
Good luck with your tree
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Sunday 08 April 12 13:49 BST (UK) »
hi Den, thank you so much for that great information, as soon as i take a photo of the piece ill add it on  here for you to look at, wooden base measures 56cm long and overall height of piece is about 54cm high, base is 17.5cm wide. its an amazing piece, i will probably try and sell it on ebay in the next few days, hopefully someone will have use for it, kindest regards, daniel :)
Hi Daniel
Never seen one like. Good luck on ebay sometimes things like that sell.
I will look out for it & if it's not too dear might put a bid in & donate it back to the province.
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline dparker224

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 00:20 BST (UK) »
hi den, ive just listed it on ebay, good luck if you decide to bid, i actually paid rather alot for it as i thought it was an interesting and decorative piece, be fantastic if it goes back where it belongs or to someones family connected with the names on the presentation plaques, kindest regards, daniel

Offline JSClifford

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
I have a number of RAON jewels that belonged to my grandfather as well as beautiful scrolls. Where can I find information on the following:
Walter Savage of Abingdon
Was initiated in 1910
Knight Order of Merit - Amity Lodge No 4  1926
Knight Order of Merit - Unity Lodge           1926
Installed Primo Amity Lodge - 1912
I have various Jewels as Minstrel, Primo and PGP as wellas founder Abbey Lodge

Anyone who can shed any light on all of this?

John

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Thursday 19 April 12 11:05 BST (UK) »
I have a number of RAON jewels that belonged to my grandfather as well as beautiful scrolls. Where can I find information on the following:
Walter Savage of Abingdon
Was initiated in 1910
Knight Order of Merit - Amity Lodge No 4  1926
Knight Order of Merit - Unity Lodge           1926
Installed Primo Amity Lodge - 1912
I have various Jewels as Minstrel, Primo and PGP as wellas founder Abbey Lodge

Anyone who can shed any light on all of this?

John

Hi John I cant find anything on "Amity no 4" it might be a different banner. Do you know the number of the "Unity Lodge, and what are the details on the Founders Jewel. Also his PGP Jewel what Province is that?
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline rvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Friday 20 April 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if you can give me any information my grandfather was in the buffs in I think senghenydd, glamorganshire.  I have attached a photograph.  If you can give me any information applicable to him it would be greatly appreciated.

Name: William henry phillips of 9 brynhyfrydd terrace senghenydd, glamorganshire.
I believe he was in the buffs in the late 50' & 60's maybe earlier.

I understand that the buffs paid for his funeral according to the family.  Not sure if this is correct.

Do you know what the regalia is around my grandfathers neck and what it represents.

thank you   rvb

I have found another picture which may give you more clarity/detail.
Names: Thomas, Phillips
Areas: Senghenydd, Abertridwr, Trethomas, Caerau, Glamorganshire
Llandilofawr, Carmarthenshire