Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149701 times)

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #243 on: Saturday 22 June 13 09:56 BST (UK) »
Please could you find my great grandfather: James W. GreenField of the New Holland Lodge number 3177 he was initiated on the 2nd day of august 1962

Hi The Lodge you mentioned was in the Hull Province at that time I had a look on there site, but did not find the name. Try contacting the site they may be able to help a little bit http://raobhullprovince.co.uk/
Later the lodge changed to the Grimsby province but I cant find a website for that, I am sure the Hull site can direct you...

Whittenbury All
Banks Smith Broomhall Willenhall
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline Ducie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Sunday 28 July 13 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for information regarding my husband's grandfather. We have a large (A3 size) certificate saying he belonged to Dixon Hartland Lodge No: 970 and is dated 17 Feb 1899.
His name was Fred Hood, and he lived in Kent at the time. Although he migrated to Australia in 1905 I was wondering if we may be able to obtain any information regarding his involvement with this Lodge.
Ducie

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Saturday 26 October 13 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi whittenbury,

My Grandfather Frederick Bates was in the Buffs I am guessing around the 1950's and 1960's at the time they lived in Moston Manchester. I know nothing else so would love to know if you can tell me anything.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Monday 27 January 14 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi my Granddad was a Buff in Axminster Devon. Mum thinks he may have gone to a Buffs meeting at The Commercial, The Castle or The St George in Axminster, presume joined around 1939-1971 then moved to Perth Australia and attended Buffs here, somewhere, 1971-2000. Any ideas. Mum is going to ask Gran if she still has his Buffs things, hopefully she has, as Mums does remember his blue sash. His name was Kenneth Francis McGurk.
McQuade. Co Monaghan Ireland>Glasgow Scotland.
McGurk. Belfast Ireland>Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

This information is crown copy copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Fraser. Inverness Scotland>London.
Coulson. London.
Phil(l)ips. Glasgow Scotland.

Offline J Johnson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Monday 10 February 14 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Sarah, My Granddad Thomas Norton was also in the  buffs and lived in the Moston area of Manchester.  He passed away about 1966.  He was in the Buff before WWII.  His lodge was the Lady of the Manor No 279

Offline Sue Bryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Monday 10 February 14 04:32 GMT (UK) »
have recently discovered my great great grandfather was a Grand Knight of the Buffalos. I know nothing more. I think the lodge number was 43 according to his sash in a photo I've been sent. I have no idea what sort of records or information I can get on this order or about his role/duties in it. I have attached the photo that was given to me. his name was Elijah Bryan b1867 ANY info would be of great assistance. THANKS.............sorry the pic is so large I didn't realise

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Thursday 13 February 14 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi J Johnson,

How nice to hear from you :D Thank you for the information on the lodge that gives me a great clue to go and investigate more.

Cheers

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline etiolation

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Saturday 22 March 14 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello =),

I was recently shown a photograph of my great-grandfather and great grand uncle. I haven't seen a physical copy but my auntie tells me on the back it says "Buffs, Victoria Hotel, Ferndale, 1920ish"

Below is an image of what they are wearing in the photo. =) Sorry it's not very big, this is as big as I've got.

On the left is William Thomas Williams (b. 1887, Kidwelly) and on the right is Frederick Haydn Cayford (b. 1903, Ferndale, Glamorgan) - the Cayford family ran the Victoria Hotel in the 20s, which is the pub the men are standing in front of in the picture. =)

I'd really just appreciate any extra information anyone can give me, really. =)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Offline fhs56

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 15:37 BST (UK) »
I have recently come across an old photograph whilst sorting through some old family papers and am hoping that you may be able to help me learn more about it.  I

There are no details on the back of the photo but I have managed to research it a bit, and think that the gentleman is a member of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes, and appears to be wearing regalia suggesting that he held the Knight Order of Merit.  The writing at the bottom of the photo reads – “A Portrait by E. F (or T or J?) Stevens”.  Unfortunately, as mentioned, I do not have the name of the individual or the date that this was taken, but our main family surnames were Smith and Baker, and they were living in London and Kent.

I do not now if you have the resources, but if you are able to supply any more information about this photograph I would be most grateful.  If you are unable to help, but know of another group/website that might be able to, then that would be very helpful. 

I have tried attaching the photo to this message, but keep getting an error message come up.  I can send it to you directly if that is ok.

Thanking you in advance for any help you may be able to give.

Many thanks