Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149686 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Den, thanks for that, i think the gap is due to him serving in the army over that period and WWII.

I haven't written to the PG Sec yet, been very busy, will do soon though.

Thanks again.

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just been given a photograph of - well not necessarily an ancestor, but a possible family connection and I'm curious about a collar he has on.  Would you be able to tell me if it has anything to do with the Buffaloes please?  I've been told the collar is nothing to do with masons so I'm trying other groups.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline BarryW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 09 August 08 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary - That looks like a friendly society collar, maybe the Shepherds??

Whittenbury - My main interest is researching friendly and fraternal societies in staffordshie, particularly the Ancient Order of Druids.

I have struggled to make any real contacts with the Buffs here. Do you have any suggestions of who I could contact?

Cheers

Barry
Friendly and fraternal societies, Staffordshire history. Wilkes, Sneyd.

Offline Chianti

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 07:48 BST (UK) »
This is exactly what I have been looking for. It's my mum's 70th birthday in September and I'm doing her a family book.

My Grandfather died before I was born but he was a member of the Buffs. There is a problem with his name. He was suppose to be also a member of the Magic Circle, but they don't have any record of him.

His name was John George Thompson born Oct 19th 1884 and died May29th 1955. My mum always thought Rapier was used in his name but her half brother thought it was Ruttier.

I also know he use to work in Stol theatres as Melvo the Magician, Master of Mystic and Mirth. I'm sure my Mum has got a ring or something of his to do with the Buffs.

They mainly lived in the North East of England and North Yorkshire. If you have any information I would be so grateful.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 15 August 08 11:20 BST (UK) »
Barry, thanks for your interest, I've also been told it could be connected to an order of Good Templars, so still looking.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline BarryW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 15 August 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Umm?? Hard to tell as there is not that much to give it away. Looks more likr Friendly Society regalia.

Where exactly is the picture from?

Regards

Barry

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 15 August 08 21:30 BST (UK) »
Good Templar seems a reasonably strong possibility..... I did a bit of an image search and couldn't find any collars which looked like yours (masonic, oddfellows etc) - but then found this Good Templar one which is very similar. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0432/
http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Sunmoonstars.htm

Do you know anything about him?   Was he temperance?   Or a Baptist?

Photo was taken in St Helens so maybe there was a local Good Templar group nearby.   

Milly

;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BarryW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 17 August 08 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Milly

That may well be the case although those type of collars were used by other societies. The letters "PNG" are "Past Noble Grand" a title for the Chairperson of the Lodge. This was most often used by the Oddfellows and taken up by other friendly and fraternal societies.

Regards

Barry

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 17 August 08 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest, especially those links Milly, it does look similar doesn't it? 

I emailed a number of societies, replies said definitely not Oddfellows or Masons, but the Knights Templar thought it looked like the Good Templars, in fact they were fairly sure of it, so I've emailed to Sweden - hoping they can read my English  ;D but as yet not received any reply.

Unfortunately the photograph was amongst an album believed to be of family, and indeed there is resemblance to some of the other pictures enough to believe that he is related, but so far we've been unable to identify who he is, reason for trying to trace the collar.

Mary