Author Topic: Wells family-1901  (Read 4991 times)

Offline aderyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Wells family-1901
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 January 08 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mike,

Thank you for the extra information about Edward and Frances all noted, as for the other about Thomas and Hannah Pearson is that John's mother and father? If it is that's great well done.

Angela.

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 August 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,I am new to this website,I am related down the wells line,the line being john,thomas,john,joshua,robert,my great great grandad Joseph Henry and my grandad donald.I wanted to know if anyone has information on my great great grandad Joseph Henry,I think he was born in 1878 and died in 1952,he was married to Agnes Jane Smith.other than my grandad donald,does anyone know if he had anymore children and possibly where he and Agnes are buried,thank you sincerely for any help anyone can give me.Dean wells

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 August 21 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Dean and welcome to Rootschat.

FreeBMD has two baptisms for Joseph Henry Wells in Leicester in 1874 and again in 1876. Where did you get the 1878 year?

We can’t do lookups on the 1911 census for copyright reasons but there is a possible candidate for your Joseph, married to Agnes, with a possible yob of 1880. There are 4 children in this household, but none of them is called Donald. When was Donald born?

It looks as though Agnes was with 4 or maybe 5 adult children (one redacted) in the 1939 register but Joseph wasn’t with her. Was he definitely still alive?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 August 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
A Joseph Henry Wells died in Leicester in 1937; he was 63 (so yob 1874). His last address was 11 Ashbourne Street. Unfortunately he was cremated and his ashes scattered at Gilroes cemetery so there's no family plot to identify. But could this be your man?
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 August 21 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for trying to help me with Joseph Henry,I have now his marriage certificate to Agnes Jane smith,they were married on the 24th of April 1905,he is listed as 27 years old at the time,Agnes was 20,they were living at 72 sheared street,Leicester,Joseph's dad is listed as Robert wells,Agnes dad is Alfred james..my grandad donald was born in 1916,I think he had a brother Eric,not sure of the names of his siblings

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 August 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
That makes things a lot clearer :)

Robert Wells married Selina Bambroffe in Leicester in 1878, but it seems that they were having children before that date as Joseph's older brother William Ernest (b 1874) was registered with mmn Bambrough. I suspect that your Joseph is therefore the one shown on the GRO site born in Leicester in 3rd quarter of 1876 with mmn B....  (?)

Do you have access to the 1911 census?

This will  be your grandfather's birth reg:

Births Dec 1916 
Wells    Donald S    Smith    Blaby    7a   51

Findmypast has a copy of your grandfather's baptism in South Wigston on 24 Dec 1916, and of several siblings (including Eric) at earlier dates in the same church.

There are also several more Wells/Smith births in the Blaby district after Donald's but of course Smith is a very common surname and Wells not that uncommon so there could well have been more than one family having children there at that time.

Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 August 21 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie,thank you so much for all your help again,I have managed to get a copy of my grandad donald marriage certificate to my gran Mary dinsdale(26/2/1940),yes donald father is listed as Joseph Henry,I think his brother Eric was married to a lady called Margaret ordoyno.Thank you for your help on Joseph Henry father Robert marriage to selina,I have found a copy of their marriage certificate,robert is listed as a widower,so may explain the children in the household before marrying selina,unfortunately I cannot access census records at the moment,thank you Dean

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 August 21 15:08 BST (UK) »
It's possible that Robert and Selina got together before he was widowed, and didn't marry until he was free to do so. It would be good to look at other Robert Wells marriages and at the mmn of the older children to get an idea of who their mother might have been -Selina or a first wife.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 August 21 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie,apart from Roberts marriage to selina,I can not find his first marriage,I know he was 39 when he married the 34 year old selina on the 27th of July 1878,your theory could very well be right,I have tried to find a list of Robert's children to try and find out which children he had with which wife,I think he had Joseph Henry with selina,William Ernest was born in 1874,but like you say,he could well have been with selina by then