Author Topic: James Stenhouse of Edinburgh  (Read 4542 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: James Stenhouse of Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 January 08 21:30 GMT (UK) »
hi blue-sten

when this has happened to me in the past i've went to the start of
what i'm sure of and tried again  :)

not too sure what you are trying to do  ???
think you might be trying to work across a tree and then down
this is opposite to most research which is work up with help from census ,
certificates , family history , and some site called rootschat( ;D)
i've seen how the information further down a tree can change as you
go back so it might not be easy trying to do it the other way

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 January 08 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I've researhed all the way back from present and know that these people are the right people. Now that I have all their children, I am trying to trace them forwards in time to find out, essentially, what happened to these Stenhouse branches.

The problem is that after 1841, they all disappear off the face of the earth!

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blue-Sten, just finished research re a Helen Stenhouse in Edinburgh, might be connected?
                    Helen Stenhouse 1844 marries William Brown 1835(Falkirk) on 25/06/1869 Skivington, Edinburgh. Daughter of James Stenhouse Shop fitter( might be porter, badly written.) Leith, 1818 - 1884 and Jessie Chalmers C1815 - 1879 Leith, Browns had 6 children, all but one born Edinburgh, one Falkirk.

Hope this is of use, still tracing family on census's,
                                                                               Dunmac.
P.S. One of the daughters is called Robina and not from the Brown naming pattern. This daughter married into the Vallance family, generations of Carters, Cabmen and Taxi Drivers in the Edinburgh /Leith areas.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Sten,
                      Just found 1851 Census amongst piles of papers on desk.
              685/1, Edinr, Edinr,
               Edinburgh St John
               Midlothian
              20 Cowgate
               CSSCT1851_177
               Helen Stenhouse, Daughter, Scholar,  born Edinburgh/Edinburgh, 5years, about 1846, parents James & Jessie.
               Others:
               Jan Simpson abt 1786   65.
               Isabella Stenhouse abt  1841  10.
               James Stenhouse abt 1817  35.
               Jessie Stenhouse abt 1819  32.
               John Stenhouse abt 1839  12.
               Robert Stenhouse abt 1848  3.

Jan Simpson is noted as Mother In Law.?

Regards,
                                               Dunmac.

P.S.      1841 James at 8 Cowgate.
             1851 20 Cowgate.
            1861 88 Candlemakers Row.
             1871 24 Cowgate.
            1881 16 South Richmond Street, Newington, Retired Wharehouseman.

I think we have same family.
                                                            D.

P.P.S. IGI, not alway correct names given,as they are mostly family verbal records, or odd recordings of other family members tales, always double check everything from them.

Regards to other researchers, who have helped.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 March 08 04:09 GMT (UK) »
hi sten do you know if any of your stenhouses immigrated to the usa. i have stenhouses in my tree that originated in stirling and west lothian and ended up in california and oklahoma usa.  beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline Pam Chetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 March 08 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sten

My friend Dunmac has just told me about you and your interest in Drylie' Burts and Beveridges I am doing a bit on Burts and Drylies and their interconnections I also have Beveridges in my tree, maybe we can help one another

Regards
Pam

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 March 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
hi pam my email is beansgram@hotmail.com let me know what you are working on maybe i have something that can help you.  is there a way to do a search on sp with just the parents names that will bring up all the children if so how i have just started using sp and have credits but am not sure about searching this way.    beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline Anna Williams95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 February 24 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I’m from some lineage of the Stenhouse family. James Stenhouse (born 1854, miner) who married my great great great grandmother Mary Baillie Wilson (born 1853). They came to Australia and had a son (John Wilson Stenhouse) who became the first mayor of Lake Macquarie, NSW, fought in many miners strikes and won a medal from Parliment. Happy to talk further if needed, but it does sound awfully confusing tracing all these Stenhouse kids!

John Wilson Stenhouse (1874-1931) coalminer, gaoled trade union leader, shire president.

Birth: 22 April 1874 at Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland, son of James Stenhouse (1854-1928), miner, and Mary Baillie, née Wilson (1853-1918). Marriage: 1899 at Minmi to Janet Johnston (1881-1941). They had two daughters. Death: 30 August 1931 at Belmont, Lake Macquarie, New South Wales. Religion: Presbyterian.

Arrived in Sydney on 6 December 1878 with his parents aboard the Hanaford. Like his father, who worked at the Duckenfield and Back Creek colliery and in 1884 was a representative of the Minmi miners, John Stenhouse also became a miner.
Lived at West Wallsend from about 1889. In 1903 electoral roll, both James and John Wilson Stenhouse were recorded as miners.