Author Topic: What is wrong with Ancestrythis afternoon?  (Read 10064 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What is wrong with Ancestrythis afternoon?
« on: Sunday 20 January 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
It was more convenient to go into Ancestry and look up a couple of censuses for James Harding.  His file was not easily available so I entered his details for the 1851 and 1861 and was told twice on each entry that there were no results!!  I know he is there I have the Ancestry census printed out.

Having retrieved my printouts I checked and everything I put in was correct and if I put the citation there he is!

Has anyone else had this problem?
Abiam

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with Ancestrythis afternoon?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 08 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Had trouble searching for something there this afternoon also. Contact told me a person had information on Ancestry but when I put in name - no result. Then put in surname - no result. Finally went to database and put in name - no result. 4th time I put just surname into database and the entry finally came up! Point is that if I didn't believe other person's hint I would have given up on the search.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 08 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Someone gave me a lead on my tree yesterday, and I still can't get to the census record on Ancestry. Very frustrating.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 08 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm having no problems at all  ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Still a problem with Ancestry.  I kept putting in names and was told there was no matching record, so I put in a name that I know is on the census and like Abiam I know she is there because I have a print out, also she shows up on Findmypast, but again a message on Ancestry that says no results.  Guess who won't be renewing their sub when it's due.  Ancestry is more trouble than it's worth.

Lizzie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Tried searching for someone again yesterday (who may or may not have records on Ancestry) but when I put in first and last name and South Africa (with exact match box ticked) what came up but several people with same surname and different first names in Scotland!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Still not working for me.

Lizzie

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I didn't realise anyone had answered!  My sub is due at the end of Feb and now I have got used to FindMyPast I think I shall stick with it.  If you start to add up the odd cert. here and there plus paying for some info it all becomes a bit expensive.  Which reminds me I sent ten pounds off to Southampton Archives  way before Christmas must give them a ring!  More expense!

What would we do without RC?

Abiam

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Strangely if I go to Ancestry.com and log on using my UK e-mail address and password, I can then access all the info that is on Ancestry.co.uk, e.g census, BMDs etc and it works.  Having tested that, I then logged out and went onto Ancestry.co.uk - searches failed!  I've now cancelled my subscription, but can still use it until renewal is due (next October) but they won't renew it.  If they do, they are in trouble. ::) ::)

Hope Findmypast doesn't change, unless it is to get even better, when it amalgamates with Scotlandspeople.

Lizzie