Author Topic: Genealogy Centres around Ireland  (Read 19836 times)

Offline Bills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Genealogy Centres around Ireland
« on: Sunday 20 January 08 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I've started this topic because many people of Irish descent have mixed feelings about the centres and the 'service' they provide.  Centres may give the impression that visitors are allowed to examine the records themselves, this is not the case and visitors from around the world have been disappointed to find that they are not permitted access.

Much has been said about these centres, the quality of their service and resulting cost.  readers may like to give their experiences - as briefly as possible - so as to help others.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy Centres around Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 08 21:47 GMT (UK) »
At the moment there's a thread under Londonderry about Londonderry Genealogical Centre which is closed (perhaps temporarily).

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,276737.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bridgy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 08 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bills
Thank you for starting this thread.  We are hoping to go to England/Ireland next year with the express purpose of visiting as many FH centres as I can, mainly in Ireland so it appears as if I may be sadly disappointed.  However I live in hope and maybe the fact that I came all the way from Oz may soften their attitude  :D :D :D  Also intend to contact them before hand so will not just lob up and expect to be served.
Failing that, the wonderful people on RC help heaps.
Regards
Jan
Rossiter, Waldron (Kildare), Kelly, Cox, Dollar (Co Armagh), Bridges, Bennett, Hodgson (Bedfordshire), Roberts (Liverpool), Peirce, Tutton (Somerset), Goodwin, Tomlinson (Lancashire), Lovell ( Midlothian)
Rossiter, Kelly, Bridges, Roberts, Goodwin (Australia)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 08 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Jan- don't expect a big welcome or lots of information from any of the genealogy centres here in Ireland but do expect to pay large amounts of money for little information. Suggest you check a couple of their websites and look at the costs before going down this line of research.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 January 08 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bills
Thank you for starting this thread.  We are hoping to go to England/Ireland next year with the express purpose of visiting as many FH centres as I can, mainly in Ireland so it appears as if I may be sadly disappointed.  However I live in hope and maybe the fact that I came all the way from Oz may soften their attitude  :D :D :D  Also intend to contact them before hand so will not just lob up and expect to be served.
Failing that, the wonderful people on RC help heaps.
Regards
Jan

Hi Jan,

Try sending some queries to Libraries in Ireland. Many librarians will look up information in directories as well as books and old newspapers that they hold. I regard the libraries as one of Ireland's hidden treasures from a genealogy researcher's point of view. Librarians are very helpful when they receive an email or when you call in to see them with a query. I don't think the service offered by Irish libraries will disappoint anyone.

Christopher 

Offline bridgy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 08 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help and advice.  Have checked a couple of web sites - including the GRO for NI.  The reply from there was not very encouraging - or friendly which surprised me.  Christopher, will contact the libraries as you suggested.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Jan
Rossiter, Waldron (Kildare), Kelly, Cox, Dollar (Co Armagh), Bridges, Bennett, Hodgson (Bedfordshire), Roberts (Liverpool), Peirce, Tutton (Somerset), Goodwin, Tomlinson (Lancashire), Lovell ( Midlothian)
Rossiter, Kelly, Bridges, Roberts, Goodwin (Australia)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 January 08 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Jan- don't expect a big welcome or lots of information from any of the genealogy centres here in Ireland but do expect to pay large amounts of money for little information. Suggest you check a couple of their websites and look at the costs before going down this line of research.

aghadowey, you must be joking ... Irish people are renowned throughout the world for their friendliness, hospitality and willingness to give visitors to the country as much assistance as possible.  Am I mistaken in thinking that heritage centres and museums participate in "The Welcome Host and Welcome All" training courses which have enabled over eighty hospitality industry representatives to improve their customer care? There's a training Council which offers applied training courses for the tourism and hospitality sector. Eighty doesn't sound all that many ... I wonder if that figure is correct. I found it on the Lisburn Council website Economic Development Annual Progress Report  April 2001 to March 2002. Surely there must be a more recent report somewhere online.

I've found another such course "Welcome to Excellence" which is widely regarded as the gold standard by the tourism, leisure and hospitality sectors. Maybe heritage centres aren't interested in such courses.

Has there not been a great deal of progress since the comments made in the "Report on Value for Money Examination, no. 14, Comptroller & Auditor General, 1996" which was issued by The Heritage Council (An Chomhairle Oidhreachta) twelve years ago? The points raised in the conclusions reached in sections 9.78 to 9.82 didn't make very good reading ...
9.79 The product offered was not consistent across the country.
9.80 No facilities for public access to genealogical records.
9.81 The set charges were too high for people requiring information and not a report.
9.82 There was no clear definition regarding the area which a heritage centre covered. 

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 January 08 00:20 GMT (UK) »
We Irish might be friendly but all the staff in genealogy centres and tourist offices are not. A German friend tried to discover where her family had lived in Ireland and was told 'the town isn't there anymore' when the townland (which had never been a town) was still there. And years ago I went to get a map of North Coast in NYC and asked for map of Giants' Causeway area and was told 'it's just a pile of rocks and you don't want to go there.'

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 January 08 00:33 GMT (UK) »
We Irish might be friendly but all the staff in genealogy centres and tourist offices are not. A German friend tried to discover where her family had lived in Ireland and was told 'the town isn't there anymore' when the townland (which had never been a town) was still there. And years ago I went to get a map of North Coast in NYC and asked for map of Giants' Causeway area and was told 'it's just a pile of rocks and you don't want to go there.'

Who is permitting such idiots to be let loose in front of the general public? Have they been properly trained? A clerk in what I assume was a NYC branch of the Irish Tourist Office being permitted to tell people that the Giants' Causeway area (which is the only World Heritage Site in Ireland) "is just a pile of rocks and you don't want to go there" is an absolute disgrace. That person should have been removed from the front counter and given a desk job as they were doing no favours to tourism in the north of Ireland.

The clerks should also receive proper training and have a directory of Irish townlands available for them to consult. There are a few websites which list townlands ... There's John Broderick's seanruad IreAtlas and PRONI also have an online list of townlands. Do tourism clerks selling Ireland in NYC not have a clue how to use a computer?

I've added links to centres we've discussed on other threads ... 

Armagh Ancestry
Irish Family History Foundation centres.

Christopher