Author Topic: Alexander McKay/Mackay  (Read 15832 times)

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McKay/Mackay
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 09:33 GMT (UK) »

Registration number 388  ED 2 page 3

address Reinaclock

John Mckay age 34 all born  Port of Menteith Farmer
Jean wife age 30
Peter son age 2
Donald son age 1
Janet McQueen age 18 servant
John Strane age 18 servant

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi dowunder - sounds daft saying that I'm in Queensland  ;D
was just trying to get another copy of the 1861 from SP so you saved me the credits..thank you..am now going to try and track Thomas Mackay and Margaret McKeisors..wish me luck..thanks again Pat
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello

You are very welcome, happy hunting.
I am in Perth.

Regards Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi dowunder - sounds daft saying that I'm in Queensland  ;D
was just trying to get another copy of the 1861 from SP so you saved me the credits..thank you..am now going to try and track Thomas Mackay and Margaret McKeisors..wish me luck..thanks again Pat

Once you have bought something once from SP - you don't have to buy it again - when you have logged on, previous searches allows you to see all your old searches & viewed images allows you to view (or download) images you viewed before. I download ALL my images that I pay for from SP - then I have a copy on my computer (in case they lose their records or I lose my access)

When I checked the 1799 birth on SP - I also looked for siblings because you can see up to 25 records for 1 credit, so why get just one? I did a search for surname M*CKAY  father Thomas, mother Margaret over about 20 years. There weren't alot. These are the Alexander and siblings that I found (there were some other Thomas & Margarets having children at the same time, but a different Margaret)

24/11/1799 MCKAY ALEXANDER THOMAS MCKAY/MARGARET MCKIE  Girvan /AYR
02/10/1796 MCKAY ELIZABETH THOMAS MCKAY/MARGARET MCKIE  Girvan /AYR
13/12/1803 MCKAY JAMES THOMAS MCKAY/MARGARET MCKIE  Girvan /AYR
02/12/1801 MCKAY MARY THOMAS MCKAY/MARGARET MCKIE Girvan /AYR
29/09/1805 MCKAY THOMAS THOMAS MCKAY/MARGARET MCKIE Girvan /AYR

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Trish..I think I must be doing something wrong somewhere  :-X I could not find on SP at Girvan in Ayr nor did I do any good with IGI ..as for the sibling bit haven't a clue how to do that..maybe my brain is addled..it would have helped a lot in the past as well instead of doing each one individually..god I'm dumb..Pat
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Trish..I think I must be doing something wrong somewhere  :-X I could not find on SP at Girvan in Ayr nor did I do any good with IGI ..as for the sibling bit haven't a clue how to do that..maybe my brain is addled..it would have helped a lot in the past as well instead of doing each one individually..god I'm dumb..Pat

ScotlandsPeople encourages one to spend lots! Nothing to do with dumb - I have got hundreds of searches in my "previous searches" that I did twice because I forgot I had done them or limited the search I was doing. It has taken me awhile to learn to get lots of useful records on 1 search result. You can do similar with census searching & get the whole family sometimes on 1 result, so only 1 credit 
For your family, the combination of names was not common so I searched ALL of Scotland, I didn't limit it to a parish or a county. I only limit searches when I get multiple pages of results in the first search. Sometimes families are in different places to where you expect, so that can be useful.

It is NOT possible to do sibling/family searches on the civil records at SP because the indexes do not contain the name of the parents (most annoying). You can do them on the IGI however, AND the civil births & marriages for Scotland 1855 to 1875 are on the IGI. The IGI has the advantage that it equates names (e.g. MCKay/MacKay) so you don't have to use wildcards and look for misspellings - that you do on SP.

To do a family search on IGI

Leave name blank
Put fathers given & surname in father fields
Put mothers Given name (& surname if you know it) in mother field. I often omit Mother's surname because in most English parish records it is not given. In Scotland parish records the maiden name is usually given.

You can then select year and range & BI, country and county if required.

Hope this helps

Trish

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all that information..have printed it out and will start again tomorrow..it is after 10pm here and have been on the computer all day  ;D just had the last glass of wine and am out of cigs...that's it shower and bed..thanks again..Pat

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish - have been at it again today, have done quite well with Margaret MacLaren, and and Alexander were married in Kenmore in 1822 (have verified with SP) have her birth and her parents also verified..but am doing no damned good with Alexander.  I have to say now that the info I had was a member submitted "thingy"on IGI and have not been very happy with it  ??? now am less sure..why Girvan and Ayrshire..from all family records they all hung around and went back to Perthshire..just have a feeling it ain't right !!!! maybe it's just me.  So worked my way thru'the IGI indes for Perthshire..yep every one  ;D have come up with an Alexander McKay born 1795 Redgorton Perth father Duncan..and Duncan is a family name there are another two siblings Janet 1793 and John 1797 also family names, sadly there is no mothers name listed..so could be worth a try ?  have come up with another two or three in the Perthshire area but they don't ring any bells if you know what I mean (duh, getting old)  what do you think ???regards Pat

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat

I see I didn't answer a couple of your other questions - I have no idea where Shallockiln is?? Couldn't find it in Google or anywhere else - it must be a small locality or property in the parish of Girvin. it is also confusing that the surname on the index and the surname on the baptism are different?? Weird.

Meanwhile, based on naming the first son Alexander, it would seem that should be his father's name.  It would follow that Catherine should be his mother's name (Was wife's mother called margaret also - if not, we can probably forget the naming patterns as a sister of Margaret is Catherine & that may be where that name came from)

Now - I have got very confused with children names - doing a parent search on the IGI, I come up with the following children for Alexander McKay and Margaret MacLaren (sometimes spelt wrongly, took a while to find them all)

John born 1822
Peter 1824
Alexander 1826
Margaret 1827
Catherine 1830
Mary 1832
John 1835
Peter 1837
mary 1839
Janet 1841

The early John, Peter and Mary probably died as infants

This is looking much more like naming patterns - 3rd son Alexander. Was the father of Margaret called Peter?

Did you download the image of the marriage - was any information given as to the parish of Alexander - marriages were usually in the parish of the wife, but sometimes mentioned if the groom came from elsewhere.

Trish