Author Topic: Holy Trinity Parish Look Ups Needed - Bond  (Read 19033 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Trinity Parish Look Ups Needed - Bond
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 07 February 15 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Charles Prigg, who gets a mention in one of the posts from 7 years ago, is my Great (x3) grandfather. From the thread, it looks like I had an easier route to get to William Prigg/Frances Leach than you had  :)

Just wondered whether you have traced them back further

Hope to hear from you, and if you're interested in this branch of the family, exchanging notes.

Steve

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

So sorry to have missed you in the mix!  I'm so interested to hear what you know about our mystery family and their amazing name change act, particularly of Charles the musician because he used the surname Prague (son of Charles the Revenue guy), and his siblings (as I am missing heaps of dates for them).

PM me if you want to do that instead of chat online.

Cheers,
Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 07:17 BST (UK) »
No probs, Bunny

From a slightly ambiguous death notice in a Bury newspaper, I'm currently working on the hypothesis that the William Prigg who married Frances Leach was the son of Robert Prigg of Bury St Edmunds, probably a successful tailor. Think William started in that trade and maybe finished as a carver & gilder

Following that family down has been interesting, including a Secretary of State for Oregon, a surgeon who was accidentally shot in Kensington and a vicar who used to ride to the top of the hill overlooking his parish and see if there was a signal from below on whether it was worth his while coming down (he ended up with a congregation of just 3). Also a name change to Trigg  :)

--------------

I don't know whether you've seen this site for all things Leach

http://davidparrhouse.org/

with quite a full history of one side of the family here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hcr/

Frances Leach was Barnett III's sister

Infuriatingly, that exhibition only came up in my Google search a few days after it had finished

----------------------

I've started looking at the Hopkins - makers of the finest brawn in the kingdom - and that's starting to get interesting too - will disputes, brewers, mayors of Cambridge, that sort of thing

There'll be some nice houses to visit when I get the chance

---------------------

As for Charles Prague, not a lot about him, I'm afraid. He married in Hoxton, possibly widowed though I'm not sure that they separated instead and then headed down to Folkestone for a life of violinism and artistry (though I haven't come across any surviving examples of that). Didn't trouble the scorers child-wise as far as I know.

--------------------

I did look through a film of the All Saints registers for your George but didn't spot him. St Edward's is another church that is starting to appear a fair bit though.

Let me know if you're looking for any specific dates. I'm trying to track all my blood relations so might be in luck

Steve

Offline seasider53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, I'm looking into the Prague/Prigg/Leaches too. Myself & Bunny have exchanged a few messages and found we are distant cousins.
What dates do you have fir BarnettIII as I have him as Frances Father.
Sounds like you are local to Cambridge?
Leach/Prigg - Cambridge
Draper/Munford - Norfolk
Nicholas/Donlan/Thurston/Leach - India
Harrison/Cunningham - Durham
Caine/Harrison - Ireland

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there seasider, depends what you mean by local but I've never been there - I've just seen the LDS films at Kew

I've swapped death dates a number of times for the Barnett Leaches but this is my thinking at the moment:

Barnett Leach who m Margaret Hopkins as 1765 - 1814 - based on a newspaper report that he had to give up running the Cock Tavern in Attleborough in 1812 due to illness. Also there is a Death Duty Index entry on FindMyPast with executor Margaret Leach. There's a will for that one proved at Ely which would probably confirm things either way but I haven't seen it

I have Barnett Leach who m Frances Lee being buried in 1792. I have Frances buried in 1789 with Barnett then marrying Mary Nixon in 1790 who d 1802. This is a guess that I've got the right Barnett but there's a marriage licence somewhere for it. The burials are from either National Burial Index transcripts on FindMyPast or from LDS film 1818407 which is St Mary the Great. I'm hoping to get a look at that film on Saturday.

Don't have everything in front of me at the moment but happy to go through any thoughts, queries and disagreements a bit later so do fire them across

Please note that if I'm on the right lines then I have Barnett II as my direct ancestor from 2 directions as Charles Prigg m Eleanor Maud Leach, dau of Barnett III so I can get confused quite easily  :)

Offline seasider53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, yes Barnett LEACH (1734 -1792) was married to France's LEE. Their Daughter Frances (1772-1839) is my 4th Grt Grand Mother.
Barnett was the 1st Master Cook at Trinity College, Cambridge University from 1770.
I am a Northerner by birth now living in Cambridgeshire and have moved around the Country due to my husbands work, imagine my shock when I realised I had come to where my Nanas family originated!! Spooky!
Leach/Prigg - Cambridge
Draper/Munford - Norfolk
Caine/Harrison - Ireland

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the same relationship to Frances Leach as I have. Which makes us twins? Or are you via the Bonds? Apart from a couple of infant deaths, I only otherwise have another son, William Frederick (who I know nothing about)

Do you have any thoughts on whether William Prigg originated from Bury St Edmunds?

And more importantly, did you know that Barnett II (or III ) only had one leg? There's a poem about him waiting in the newspaper archives on FindMyPast if you have access.

And yes, I can imagine - I recently found someone in the 1851 census living about a few hundred yards from where I'm sitting now, although it's not quite as geographically off the wall as yours

All the best

Steve

Offline seasider53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Twin! I'm like you and from the Leach line.

I'm going to have a look for the poem or do you have a link?

William in Bury St Edmonds is on my to do list.

Keep in touch

Catherine
Leach/Prigg - Cambridge
Draper/Munford - Norfolk
Caine/Harrison - Ireland

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 22:11 BST (UK) »
Just have the phone at the moment but it's dated 1826 in something like the Lancaster Gazette

By a contemporary of Byron, no less