Author Topic: Offer:Toowoomba QLD Headstone Photos  (Read 53586 times)

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toowoomba QLD Headstone Photos offer
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MarieC, That's very good of you, Cheers Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 17 February 08 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Evelina

I've been and photographed your graves.  There are other family members buried in them.  I will soon be uploading them to my computer.

If you pm me with your email address, I will email them to you!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Evelina

I've emailed your photos to you.  Hope you like them.  Let me know if any queries.

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline eeimosn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 23 January 10 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie

I wonder is your offer still open I am looking for a relative of mine as follows, any help is greatly appreciated.

THANKS A MILLION.

Michael Sullivan

Family Name  SULLIVAN 
Given Names  TERENCE 
Gender  Male   
Age at Death  91 
Date of Death  02 June 1978   
Date of Burial  06 June 1978 
Burial Number  1G554 
Cemetery  Drayton 
Location  Section: BAPT-CONG 1, Block: 2 R2, Allotment: 20 

Toowoomba burials are listed online at:

http://www.toowoomba.qld.gov.au/index.php?option=com_gravefinder&Itemid=46

If anyone finds an ancestor there and lets me know, I will go with my digital camera and take a photo of the headstone (if it exists and is legible!) and email it to you.

MarieC

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 24 January 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael

I thought this thread was dead and buried!  I see you are a new member and it didn't take you long to ferret it out!  Welcome to Rootschat, from me! :D

Given that it is a fairly recent burial in the Baptist-Congregational section, it should be fairly easy to find, and there should be a headstone.  When I get time, I will go with my camera and see what I can find. 

Whereabouts are you?

MarieC

Offline eeimosn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 24 January 10 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie

I am in Ireland, county cork. I found some old telegraphs in the attic at home and I found that my gran-uncle lived in Toowoomba....trying to get as much information about what he did etc. Actually he worked on sheep stations and also as a gardener I believe at either St Saviours or the Sisters of Mercy around the 1950s....he also lived to be quiet old at 91 yrs. Thanks for the help....very much apppreciated.....

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 25 January 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael

Lovely place, Cork!  I was there in 2009, in that VERY wet time you had - some of my ancestors owned Mallow Castle and I saw it in the bucketing rain, not the best view!

Sounds as though your ancestor should have been Roman Catholic - wonder why he is buried in the Baptist-Congregational section?  Anyway, I will have a look very soon.  Do you know when and how he came to Australia?

MarieC

Offline eeimosn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 25 January 10 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Marie

From what I can gather he left Ireland in 1927 and travelled first to the US with two brothers. He then travelled onto Australia, I am not sure when he arrived in Australia. From his letters to my dad, he worked in sheep stations and on tennis courts in Toowoomba, are you aware if they are any records from sheep stations in the area that I could look up online, maybe this is a long shot !!. He wrote several letters to my dad and spoke about the lack of water (which is not a problem in Ireland as you can see!!) in the Toowoomba area. He also spoke about coming home etc each year but never made it.

Regards
Mike

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Mike

Your only chance there would be if you knew the names of any of the sheep stations, you could write to the current owners and see if they have any records of him working there.  If you think he worked at St Saviour's (a Catholic school for girls here), you could write to the school - they may have records of his employment there.

MarieC