Author Topic: another brother!  (Read 7160 times)

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: another brother!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 08 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Jen

Thought  you'd  like to see this photo:

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline aalg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 08 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmm. Food for thought!

I certainly can't be sure if the brothers were conscripts or not as I don't know yet when they signed up.

I take your point re kilts in the battlefield - I thought the photos were of them in  their 'dress' uniform.

Interesting fact about tam'o'shanters being field uniform - but I have never seen one at grans. I have seen Uncle W's uniform quite often but definitely no 'tammy - he did have a kilt and tartan trews though!!!! Black Watch - I think. He was however a professional soldier and was in active service till he retired.

I have been reminded that there was, at one time, a newspaper photo of him changing guard at Stirling Castle. He was in kilt, sporran, glengarry etc on that occasion so perhaps the regiment kept the 'dress' uniform for non combat occasions. Don't yet have a copy of the elusive photo though.

Could the soldiers have been issued with a 'dress' uniform as in the photos? or perhaps these were 'signing up' photos taken at barracks before they shipped out?

grateful as ever
Jen

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 08 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Yep, the photos are of them in their 'dress' uniform.  They might well have had photos of themselves taken at the local photgraphers, the depot, etc.

In recent posts, I have not been referring to the two soldiers with their 'dress' uniform that appear to be before the Second World War.  They are dressed for walking out, or, parades.

The 'hat' question came about with the convalescing soldier which I have tried to explain but to no avail.
McKay:

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 January 08 18:01 GMT (UK) »
 :) Meant to add that I do not think that your soldier/s are conscripts.  They were either regular/professional soldiers or perhaps from the Territorial Force.

It was unlikely for WW2 conscripts to be issued with kilts, etc.  Even before WW2 Scottish soldiers were wearing Tam o' Shanters for all activities - other than  when in 'dress' uniform.

The numbers of 'orders of dress' in a Highland regiment are a minefield, They can amount to up to 10 different forms of dress, dependent on the posting they were on, summer/winter clothing, field & battle dress, and so on.
McKay:

Offline aalg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmmm! Thanks Anne

More food for thought! I am sure they were regular soldiers as they stayed on after the war (even the one who died).

You are probably right and it is one and the same person - just a bit disappointing for me. I shall ponder all the information you have given me and perhaps come to a conclusion. The person who could probably easily solve the problem is in Scotland - maybe a visit one day will resolve all. If I ever get confirmation I will let you know!

Meanwhile thank you so much for your time and patience - I hope you have enjoyed the challenge!

I do appreciate the support of researchers such as yourself who are prepared to give time and energy to others - even if they don't want to believe you!

Thanks too to others who have contributed to my postings.
Jen

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 January 08 15:55 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Jen

It looks like you will have to contact the person in Scotland to help you a bit more in your quest.  Perhaps they might even have some photos! which would be good. 

Yes, remember and let us know if you get any find out anymore information.  There is also the Veterans Agency, but you do have 'declare your interest' and pay for the information.  Though if they enlisted prior to 1920 the records should be at TNA, Kew.  So perhaps your next best bet is to contact the relative in Scotland. 

You can read up on the obtaining Service Records here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m1/

McKay:

Offline aalg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 February 08 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Anne

I have already researched WW1 records on TNA for the previous generation of soldiers but the WW2 records aren't there yet. Have only recently become aware of the veterans agency, thanks for the reminder. Will give them some thought. Scotland first, I think, if I can.
Jen