Author Topic: Local Knowledge Needed - Shenley Hospital  (Read 30474 times)

Offline lifes too short

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Local Knowledge Needed - Shenley Hospital
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 19 April 08 09:20 BST (UK) »
Had a call from the gardener at St Peters church. He hs spoken to the warden and they have checked the church grave records. Unfortunately your great aunt is not listed as being buried there unless it is an unmarked grave. Back to square one I,m afraid.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 19 April 08 11:26 BST (UK) »
Many Many Thanks for all your help. Another one to cross off the list.

It is so kind of you to help me like this.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 18 July 08 09:00 BST (UK) »
Just an update. I tried Harrow cemetery office.

They don't have Annie either.

So if anyone one comes across my Annie Darwent died 24 Jan 1951,

please let me know. I think she will be in an unmarked grave, so she

will only turn up in a register.

I am running out of cemeteries. Thank you all for your help.

Offline sassie77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Local Knowledge Needed - Shenley Hospital
« Reply #39 on: Monday 22 December 08 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Shenley Mental Hospital closure
I found your conversation and wondered if any of you could help me too -
I am looking to trace two people, my birth parents, who were patients at Shenley Hospital from approx 1965-1969, Marguerite Bridget Cunningham and John Butler. I was born in 1968 while my mother was there, and placed in adoption, they seem to have vanished as I have been looking everyehere, all the sites available,  with the help of social services and there is just no trace of them after Shenley and very little before. No one knows where the records are and there just isn't any info at all on them.  I am 40 now and have been looking for years. I would love any information about them then or now that anyone has. thanks you.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 22 December 08 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Will send you a PM

Offline sassie77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 22 December 08 12:48 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your message, I can't reply personally it doesn't let me, new to this site have to get the hang of it.  I will be around later thanks S

Offline glynis30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 December 11 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Not sure how to do this but will try.
Looking for info re Shenley hospital orchestra, I came across your messages.
My Mum and Dad worked at Shenley Hospital from 1946 to the late 1970s.
All patients who died there and who were not taken for burial by their family were buried at St. Botolphs Churchyard  at Shenley Bury. There is a list of all graves by the entrance. If I can find the tel number ,I'll get back to you.
I have more about the hospital itself which I will post in the next few days
Hope this helps
Regards Glynis

Offline glynis30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 04 December 11 11:06 GMT (UK) »
hello
 I have received a PM. How do I send a PM on this system please?
Glynis

Offline glynis30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 December 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Shenley Hospital was located in the village of Shenley, Hertfordshire. My parents worked there !946- to late 70s. We lived in the village. I went to the village school and in the 1960s worked at the hospital during my college vacations.
Before I describe the hospital, I have to say that I, nor my family,ever witnessed any patient from the hospital in any state of undress. Patients were free to walk around the hospital and village if they could unless, rarely, they were under a legal restriction. Patients were accepted as part of the communityand several were local characters. At Junior school we used to play by the gate and we often talked to the patients. We did not see them as apart from us. I remember one character " Pinky". He had a sweet, round, rosy face , twinkling round eyes and a toothless round smile. He often walked past the school gate and we all said hello and waved to him and he was happy
The hospital was state of the art for the time. Large houses and villas were set in magnificent  parkland.The treatment of the wide variety of Psychiatric problems was progressive.
Many patients suffered from depression and some, whose lives had hit them too hard, had suffered breakdowns. Although some patients had serious illnessses ,such as schizophrenia, most were just like you and me with different life experiences.
The hospital had a full Symphony Orchestra, the musicians were patients, staff and staff family. I played in the orchestra  for several years. Some of the musician patients were very seriously ill yet the most wonderful musicians.
One man played the violin like a sweet bird singing. Another man would always be the first to arrive. We would enter the huge, empty concert hall to hear him playing his own soulful music on his cello. It would cut your heart in two and make you weep. He was a genius.
 We played in competitions , sometimes winning , and the hospital had a full sized concert hall where we gave concerts to patients and the general public together.
In the 60s there was a very popular "Rock and Twist" each week. The bands were all well known 60s bands and people came from all the local towns.
Huge dances and balls were held in this hall and the patients had a social club with dance floor where there were regular dances to jazz and dance music. My Dad played in these bands.
To be continued