Author Topic: bellingham Mystery  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Kippen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bellingham Mystery
« on: Friday 25 January 08 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Dorothy Pigg born to Mary Ann Pigg (unmarried) in 1850.Dorothy married a William Crozier. Unable to find marriage and birth of daughter Dorothy about 1880. Census for 1891 & 1901 give the family living in High Carriteth Bellingham Hexham Borough,& this I know to be correct. 1871  census from Birtley  and 1881 Alnwick give a family of the same names,but on obtaining a marriage certificate discovered the bride to be a Dorothy Wilkinson supposed to be born in about1850 at Bellingam, and the daughter Dorothy was born to Dorothy Wilkinson and William Crozier. Cannot find a birth for a Dorothy Wilkinson.I  have a birth certificate for Walter Crozier and he is the son of Dorothy Pigg and WilliamCrozier. Can anyone solve the mystery

Regards     Kippen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: bellingham Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 08 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kippen,

Just to clarify, I take it the Dorothy/William marriage and Dorothy birth certs you got were marriage Dec Qu 1869  Bellingham  10b 436 Dorothy Wilkinson/ William Crozier and birth reg  Jun 1879 Alnwick  10b 380 Dorothy Crozier

I wonder if Dorothy Pigg first married a Wilkinson, or her mother Mary Ann married a Wilkinson and Dorothy took his name, then later went back to her original name (as per Walter's birth cert).  Seems to me they're probably one and the same person.  I have children in my tree who took their stepfather's name until they left home and then reverted to their original names, perhaps this is what she did.

Have you traced Dorothy Wilkinson back in census to be sure they were different people (or not)?

How do you know about Dorothy and Mary Ann, from the baptism on the IGI?  Have you found them together in 1851/1861 census? 

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 08 19:12 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 and 1851 I can see a Dorothy Wilkinson with grandparents Robert & Dorothy Wilkinson in Leemailing - no mother around, just a sister and an aunt aged 13.

Looking for those Wilkinsons in 1841 to see who Dorothy's mother might be.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 January 08 23:12 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 they have a son John, so possibly Dorothy's father:

1841 HO1007/837/27 fol.6 p.7/8
Woodhead, Leemailing, Bellingham
Robert Wilkinson 35 Shepherd
Dorothy    "         30
John         "         14
Frances    "           2
all born in county

and on same page, 4 doors away:  1841 HO107/837/27 fol.7 p.8
Jane Pigg  57 Ag. Lab
Mary   "     25
Mary Houmes 60 Ind
all born in county

There's a marriage for a Mary Pigg to John Mewes, 20 Aug 1845, if she was the mother, perhaps she thought it was better for Dorothy to be brought up by her grandparents

1851 Mary & John Mews are in Bellingham with sons Richard 5 & John 3, Mary was born 1813 Falstone

Barbara

Offline Kippen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 08 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Barbara    I think that you are probably right that the two Dorothys are one and the same. Dorothy Pigg was born in the March qtr at Bellingham. I cannot trace a birth for Dorothy Wilkinson.I also cannot find Dorothy Pigg in either 1851 or 1861 census or Mary Ann Pigg in 1851. I cannot find any marriages to a Wilkinson for either Dorothy or Mary Ann. Mary Ann was a grocer in Bellingham and so was John Wilkinson,so possibly Dorothy was their daughter and lived with her grandparents and took their name while living with them.

Regards  Kippen

Offline Kippen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 January 08 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I missed some information,The birth and marriage information you gave are the same as mine.Mary Ann would be about 23 when Dorothy was born.Have never found Dorothy with her mother in any census.THanks again  KIppen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 January 08 16:57 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage for a Mary Pigg to John Mewes, 20 Aug 1845

GRO ref for this marriage if you want to take it further:

Sep Qu 1845 Bellingham 25 219  Mary Pigg and John Mewes

Barbara
 :)

Offline sharmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Many records held at home for Tyne Valley area
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 January 08 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Bellingham registers for 1845
Jn. MEWES  f.a.  b.  lab. of Bellingham father Richard  lab.
to
Mary PIGG f.a. spinster of Bellingham father John Shoemaker
witt. Thos. MEWES, Lance FENWICK
 marriage by Banns Aug 20th. 1845
Forster, Hall, Yielder ,Robson, Corbridge and st John lee/ parishes.  also researching Harmison/Harmieson. have lots of info on above

Offline Kippen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 January 08 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Barbara & Sharmar     My Mary A Pigg never married and was still a shopkeeper and grocer on 1901 census at the age of 74.   Regards  Kippen