Author Topic: 1851/1861 look up please PLAYER  (Read 5142 times)

Offline moss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/1861 look up please PLAYER
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 13:11 BST (UK) »
I don't know that I can help much. If the sampler was made in 1796 then it couldn't have been done by Mary Player wife of Joseph as she was born c. 1791 so would have been too young.

Joseph's mother or a sister could have been a Mary but I have not been able to trace his earlier family. He was born in Henbury, Glos. c. 1781. I have made a note and if I find out anything I'll get back to you.

Incidentally I only knew of 5 children for Joseph and Mary. I have Sarah, Martha, Ann, John and Maria. Do you know the other 3?

Regards
Moss

Offline gofarby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 18:00 BST (UK) »
I don't have an Ann but the other children were -
Elizabeth c 1814
William c 1816
Samuel c1819
Maria c1823
Sarah c1825
John c1828
Martha c1830 - died 21 June 1870

There is a grave inscription in St Peter's Portishead as follows -
Thomas (c1738) & his wife Mary (c1765), Mary Ellen (1858) & her parents Thomas & Martha.  Also Mary Coombs b2.1.1836 d14.3.1868"

Thomas & Mary are the parents of Thomas Brown (b19 May 1831), husband of Martha Player and g-parents of Mary Ellen.   Mary Coombs (nee Brown) was the sister of Thomas Brown (b19 May 1831).

This info may not be of interest to you as it mostly relates to the Brown family (my husband's maternal ancestors).   If you have any information on Brown I would be most grateful.

I  have been told (but don't have the documentation) that a Joseph Player married  Mary Dowting/Doughting at St James, Bristol on 25 March 1811 - could this be our Joseph & Mary?   They had children baptised (Susannah, Elizabeth & Martha - but no record of Mary).  There is also reference to the name Battman in relation to the baptisms.   Does this make any sense to you?

Offline moss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 29 May 08 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

The 1811 marriage date for Joseph and Mary would tie in well with the arrival of the children. Ann was the eldest born in 1812. The 1851 census has her unmarried, aged 39 and living with her parents. She was a schoolmistress.

could this be our Joseph & Mary?   They had children baptised (Susannah, Elizabeth & Martha - but no record of Mary). 

Our Joseph and Mary had the 8 children we've already mentioned, is Susannah another one or do these 3 belong somewhere else? There is a Maria but no Mary. Not sure about Battman, will dig around :)

Offline DaveDave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 12:57 GMT (UK) »
We're trying to find the birth place of Samuel Player (and possible brother William Player) who came to Scotland mid-1790's.  Samuel enlisted in a Fencible regiment and William died in Flanders.  We don't know if they are related and we don't know where they were born.

We've searched everywhere - National Archives don't have his place of birth and so on...

I'm hoping we can find another Player family tree that has a Samuel (and possibly a William) Player so we can explore the possibility of a connection.

As they enlisted in 1795, we can presume they were around 20 years of age (give or take a few years each way) so their year of birth must've been around 1770-75.

Samuel Player was the first Player in Scotland and all Scottish Players are his descendants.

We're stuck and seem to have run out of avenues to explore.  Any ideas anyone?