Author Topic: Anybody familiar with Knutsford?  (Read 7930 times)

Offline Southfieldsdave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody familiar with Knutsford?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 05:37 BST (UK) »
Good morning,  we moved to knutsford from Salford in 1960,I was 3, my middle sister was born in cranford lodge in the mid 60s, I loved growing up as a kid in knutsgors and I still go back there for work  and social visits, its a great place, there was also an army barracks in knutsford at Parkgate

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 12:13 BST (UK) »
In case anyone’s interested/doesn’t know, the references to “Cranford” stem from Elizabeth Gaskell’s book and subsequent television series “Cranford” which was based on the town of Knutsford. What’s left of the prison is opposite the station.

Most of my rellies came from Mobberley just down the road.

Offline Southfieldsdave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 22 06:22 BST (UK) »
My sister was born in cranford lodge but I can't remember  much about it, anybody who has the chance should visit knutsford, its a beautiful  place

Offline Colin Avery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi - anyone wants to know anything about Knutsford, maybe I can help. :)
In relation to previous questions
1: Knutsford Workhouse became Cranford Lodge Hospital and is now a clinic
2: Knutsford Prison built around 1820, housed over 500 convicts (men, women and juveniles), demolished in the mid 1930s. Later known as Stanley Park with tennis courts, then a bus station, now the site of Booth's supermarket. In 1916 it housed over 500 Irish prisoners following the Easter Uprising in Dublin, and, around the same time, a number of WW1 Conscientious Objectors. It took over as Cheshire's execution place in the late 19th century from Chester, and several murderers were hanged there.
3: Knutsford's original police station was opposite the workhouse in Bexton Road.
4: Knutsford Sessions House, fronting the prison, was built in 1820 and had two courtooms for Cheshire Quarter Sessions sittings, one of which was also used for the Knutsford Magistrates Court. It is now a restaurant/hotel.
If anyone is interested in Knutsford, I can supply more detail and a list of recommended reading.