Author Topic: Non Conformist Baptism - Newburn  (Read 2794 times)

Offline kossie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Non Conformist Baptism - Newburn
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver and Tobin

Thank you for your replies and offers of help, very much appreciated.

I have quite a "brick wall" with my Scott family, I have a previous listing on this board "Please help with my Scott Family" 9 Jan 2008, which explains the problem.

I have followed-up the great advice given on the previous listing, searched the FamilySearch Parish Records and found quite a few entries which could be mine. However I am still searching. I would now like to find what entries are in the non-conformist records, Newburn/Walbottle for the following:

Baptism:
Robert Scott c1804 Newburn/Walbottle - give or take a few years.

There is an entry for Robert Scott listed on the IGI
b 19 Nov 1804
c 19 Nov 1804
at St James St Formerly Silver St Indep.
(I was going to order the film from the History Centre)

Baptism
Isabella Scott c1838 Newburn/Walbottle

Baptism
Robert Scott c1839 Newburn/Walbottle

The census age for Isabella varies quite a bit, but Robert's is quite consistent.

Marriage
Robert Scott - maybe more than one.

I hope you can follow the above, I am finding it hard to get my head around this one!!

Once again, thanks for your interest.

Regards
Dorothy :)

Fisher - Norfolk, Mickley, Eltringham
Scott - Bedlington, Newburn, Winlaton, Crawcrook
Armstrong - Ovingham, Prudhoe, Crawcrook
Brown - Prudhoe, Bywell, Mickley
Shippen - Winlaton, Ryton
Fewster - Ovingham, Ryton

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 05:03 GMT (UK) »
  Dr Williams' Library in London has many non-comformist documents of varying sorts.  If all else fails it might be worth asking them if they have what you want.  I know they have Conregational Chapel records of different types and places. Maybe they also have other denomintaions- a google search may reveal more.
Good luck,
charlotte

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Charlotte, Dr Williams' Library does not the collecton of registers known by ts name; it is the research lbrary of English Protestant nonconformity. From its website:

Although Dr Williams's Library is the main library for the study of religious nonconformity it has very few records relevant to the family historian.   The Library does not hold the registers or records of individual congregations.   The only significant exceptions to this statement are the records of London Unitarian congregations and of the Old General Baptists (mainly in London, Kent and Sussex).   In all other cases Family Historians should approach the relevant local record office.

Mean_genie

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Mean_genie. 
The reason I suggested Dr Williams is that they held some key info about one of my lot, an Independent chapel minister in 19th C,  and the documents they had  told me wherebouts  that minister had been and when  etc which enabled me to track him down at these locations. It was a great help but I guess, from what you say, I was just lucky.
charlotte