Author Topic: Martin Brown Wallsend  (Read 3338 times)

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Martin Brown Wallsend
« on: Saturday 26 January 08 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for the birth of Martin Brown but cannot find him.He first appears on the 1851 census age 3 as the grandson of John and Ann Brown at Wallsend.In 1861 he is now 15 and recorded as son to the same couple! In 1871 he is now 23 and grandson again living with Ann now a widow.In 1881 he is married and age 36.In 1891 he is 45 and in 1901 he is 56.On all the census his birthplace is Wallsend.So his birth year varies between 1845 and 1848.In 1861 there is a daughter Elizabeth unmarried age 36 living with her parents.Since Martin's birth does not seem to have been registered maybe he is the illegitimate son of Elizabeth.Surely he will have been baptised.Where will be the best place to search for Martins baptism?
cheers
Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Brown Wallsend
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 08 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Curious, there are more children shown in 1841, no Elizabeth but a Margaret same age.

1841 HO107/827/2 fol.5 p.2
Bridge Row, Wallsend
BROWN
John 40 Coal Miner
Ann  40
Margaret 17
John 13
Robert 10
Peter 5
Thomas 3

so I suppose Martin could have belonged to any of them, perhaps a son widowed young and Martin brought up with grandparents (the 'son' status in 1861 could be a mistake on the census as he is grandson on next one)
Can't see a birth reg for him.  Have you followed the other children through the census to see if they married and were widowed?  I see there is another grandchild Mary in 1871, and a daughter Ann in 1871 census.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 08 16:11 GMT (UK) »
hi Barbara
Elizabeth is on the 61 and 71 census at home but in 51 she is with her married sister Margaret Cole in County Durham.Elizabeth seems to be the oldest child of John and Ann so i was just summizing she was the mother.As you say John and Ann may have had another son who died early.Hopefully i might be able to find Martin's baptism and it should confirm who his mother was.Will follow up the others and see what i can find but it's not easy with Brown as a surname!Thanks
Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 January 08 16:22 GMT (UK) »
The only Martin Brown  birth registration GRO (not on freebmd) I found in the area between 1845-1848 was at Easington (Durham) Sep Qu 24/118

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 January 08 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Did you know Wallsend BT's for this period are on Familysearch labs web site

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 January 08 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes i did know of the Easington birth and a couple of others but checked the census for them and they are with their parents.I thought maybe as you did that Elizabeth went away to relatives to give birth.Thanks
Steve

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 January 08 16:59 GMT (UK) »
hi Rosie
did not know that so will check it out.Thanks
Steve

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 January 08 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

Sorry didn't have the address before, I only discovered it this week Northumberland and Durham coverage isn't bad. 

http://labs.familysearch.org/

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 January 08 17:13 GMT (UK) »
hi wondered why i couldn't find it straight away.Thanks for the link.
Steve