Author Topic: SHEARS / STONE Family  (Read 1649 times)

Offline booksatskipton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHEARS / STONE Family
« on: Sunday 27 January 08 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could someone ?? collinsorigins??? confirm the list of Wiliam Shears  (m 1784)and Betsey Stones children - I seem to have got confused with some of the later ones as to whether they were the children of a seconda marriage or the children of William b 1786
I have:
John 1785
William 1786
Henry 1788
Martha 1791
Charles 1796 (gt gt gt grandfather in law)
Robert 1798
Mary Anne 1800
Thomas 1803
James 1806 ???
and Isaac ????? 1811

Help

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SHEARS / STONE Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 08 13:58 GMT (UK) »
The first seven children are on IGI as the children of William and Betty Stone. The next two are the children of William and Elizabeth. There is a submitted marriage for 1802 for William and Elizabeth (maiden name mot given)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 08 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have an extracted record for the marriage so can confirm the submitted entry on the IGI.

William SHEARS = Betty STONE 11 Apr 1784 Winterslow.

There is no other marriage listed in Winterslow to a William Shears prior to 1812.

Unfortunately prior to 1813 the baptisms are not likely to yield any further clues. Perhaps someone can check the register for you. These IGI entries are only submitted entries (information provided by a member of the LDS Church) With Isaac listed in 1814, if that one does exist there will be a little more information such as residence and William's occupation available. Elizabeth/Betsy/Betty are interchangeable names so it does not concern me that some of the entries list Elizabeth.  If someone is able to check the register I suspect these baptisms will list mum under numerous variants of "Betty" When was your Betty Born? (30 years of children is probably pushing it a little) Up to around 20 years or just a little more is to be expected. 1814 one I would seriously doubt is the same couple regardless. I wonder if perhaps the son William may married an Elizabeth between 1812 and 1814 which. If this is the case,  I am sorry I am unable to check it.  :-\

Good Luck...........Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Books,

Your list is virtually correct, apart from a couple of years which are one out.   Isaac was baptized in 1814 at the age 2 1/2.

Betty Stone was baptized Betty and for some reason she changed her name to Elizabeth.   I have speculated whether there was a new vicar who had thought Betty was short for Elizabeth.

The church member responsible for the majority of the Winterslow entries in the IGI worked from transcripts prepared by a Genealogist;  the member's family tree is available in the Salt Lake City library and seems correct back to Jonathan and Gabriel about 1710 when the uncertainties start.

Best wishes

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline booksatskipton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

thanks to all for your replies, I was originally wondering if there was another William and Elizabeth around  as has been said 30 years is quite a long time to have kids and there is an 6 year gap between the last 2.....?
 I'm at work at the mo and haven't got access to the dates but seem to remember as possible DOB for Betsey of 1766 so she would been 46 when Isaac was born - not an unknown occurence!

thanks
jane

Offline booksatskipton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 09:50 GMT (UK) »
The church member responsible for the majority of the Winterslow entries in the IGI worked from transcripts prepared by a Genealogist;  the member's family tree is available in the Salt Lake City library and seems correct back to Jonathan and Gabriel about 1710 when the uncertainties start.

Hi is it possible to get a copy of this tree?