Author Topic: Toronto Obit look up please  (Read 2554 times)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto Obit look up please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 January 08 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

Ah right, quite a way then, can't possibly have just popped over to Toronto from Winnipeg to die or vice versa.

Vicky.
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 January 08 19:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a Harry Winney crossing at Buffalo, New York in April 1924 with nearest relative listed as Agnes Winney, 142 Ancot ? AVe., Toronto, Ontario

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 January 08 19:31 GMT (UK) »
findmypast shows a possible Harry Winney, 40, and Agnes, 41, going Liverpool-Canada (Quebec) in 1921.

http://www.mountpleasantgroupofcemeteries.ca/faq/#gen7 - you could try contacting the head office for Mount Pleasant cemetery in Toronto, see if he's buried there...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I think the Toronto street Karen found would be Ascot Avenue.

Vicky it was Lesley who found the manifest info, not I.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Lesley, thank you for finding the manifest (I got the names mixed up - apologies) - I do really appreciate all the help everyone is passing onto to me. Thanks for checking the marriages index as well - it would not surprise me if he did not marry this Agnes. I will have to see if someone on the Winnipeg list would be able to look up any marriages there, is Winnipeg in Manitoba? Sorry for my ignorance of Canadian States.

One thing I need to check out over here is that his first wife was called Agnes and he had a daughter with her, but then left them and met my grt Grandmother and had two children by her before then leaving them in the UK to start a new life in Canada. I do wonder if this Agnes is his first wife and he got back with her... umm will have to look into that one.

Thanks Jorose for the link to the Cemetary in Toronto, I will try and contact them and see if he is there.

Thanks Linda/Karen for the address of the manifest - it looks like he was definitly in the Toronto area from 1924 then.

Thank you of all of you again for all your help, I only recently joined this site and everyone had been so helpful.

Vicky.

Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 February 08 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure it was Toronto, Ontario?  There is a Toronto, Ohio. It's in Jefferson County.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice

Thank you, I cant find the bit of paper at the moment but Gran had a letter from the Red Cross stating that her father had died in Toronto - I think it said Canada but as I did not know there was another Toronto then it could have just been assumed due to his service in WW1 for Canada that he died there as well. I have yet to hear back from the cemetary that Jorose passed on so he still could be buried there. However it does seem on the manifests that he did travel to Cleveland Ohio, with my sad ignorance I dont know where this is in relation to Toronto Ohio. Where would I go to check burials or marriages and deaths for Ohio?

Thanks again Vicky.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:53 GMT (UK) »
The distance between Toronto, Ontario and Toronto, Ohio is 347 miles or a 6 hour drive (today's standard).  To get to Toronto, Ohio from Toronto, Ontario, you would cross the border at Buffalo, New York. 

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 March 08 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KarenM, it looks like this is worth looking into then, do you know if any records for Ohio are on the web?

Thanks again Vicky.