Author Topic: Any DWANES OR DUANES out there?  (Read 7847 times)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Any DWANES OR DUANES out there?
« on: Sunday 27 January 08 15:18 GMT (UK) »
My GGreat Grandfather as Deglan or Dagrin Dwane. He was born abt 1848. On his Army attestation papers his place of birth was in the Townland of Templemichael, Cork then this was crossed out and Waterford put instead. I have traced this area to the town of Youghal. I have not had any luck tracing Dwanes in this area of Ireland - Please can anyone who has Dwanes or Duanes in their tree or who can help me look for my Dwanes let me know.

Many Thanks Vicky.
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Any DWANES OR DUANES out there?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 May 08 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Vivky,

Have a look at www.ireland.com/ancestor/surname for Duane. The info. on the site
is based on Griffith's Valuation 1848-64 The counties where the greatest number of families bearing the name were ...

Cork 77
Galway 33
Tipperary 20

Dwane

Cork  1 
Kerry  4 
Limerick  2 
Tipperary  2 
Waterford  1     

Christopher

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christopher

You would think that with so few Dwanes I would find them easily - but no. I asked an Irish website (cant remember the name offhand) to look up the parish registers for the Temple Michael but they had no records of Dwanes. The only other lead I have is from Deglan (could be dagrin or Declan)'s marriage certificate where is father is stated as Thomas.

There is a new site from the Irish Foundation which is putting parish registers on the web so I am hoping this may help me trace the family when it is fully online.

Thanks Vicky.
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline beamobhoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Vicky, very interested in your post as my grandparents came into Youghal with Patrick and Mary Dwane!  If you PM me, I can show you a copy of the 1943-44 Youghal Electors List where it states they were living on Strand Street (Mall) in Youghal at the time.  I go across to Youghal occasionally (less recently due to new arrivals in my family!) and have spoken to lots of people there who remember both my family and the Dwanes.  I believe that there are still descendants of the Dwanes there.  My interest is that I cannot find out where my grandparents were born/came from so your lead about Templemichael may help me.
McCarthy, Shanahan, Dwan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, beamobhoy, but you can't use PM system until you've made a few more posts. See here for details:

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page: 
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline beamobhoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Ok, here's another post my list, nearly there!
McCarthy, Shanahan, Dwan

Offline beamobhoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
There! ;D
McCarthy, Shanahan, Dwan

Offline MARY DWANE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 April 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
Vicky, very interested in your post as my grandparents came into Youghal with Patrick and Mary Dwane!  If you PM me, I can show you a copy of the 1943-44 Youghal Electors List where it states they were living on Strand Street (Mall) in Youghal at the time.  I go across to Youghal occasionally (less recently due to new arrivals in my family!) and have spoken to lots of people there who remember both my family and the Dwanes.  I believe that there are still descendants of the Dwanes there.  My interest is that I cannot find out where my grandparents were born/came from so your lead about Templemichael may help me.
BEAMOBHOY very interested in your post as my father came from Youghal and his mother and father was Patrick and Mary Dwane.He was one of sixteen and was brought up by the nuns in Youghal . He joined the Royal Navy when he was old enough
so he lost all contact with his family.Sadly he died last year. I think one of his sisters was called maureen. My fathers name was Michale Dwane born 27 12 1922.
hope any one out there can help me trace any of my relation as I have so little to go on
                     MARY DWANE

Offline beamobhoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 April 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary, I will email a copy of the Youghal 1943/44 Electors list if you PM me (you can only PM once you have posted at least 3 messages on here - do what I did and just send another two messages with nothing on them!).  My family - the McCarthys came into Youghal with the Dwanes (so I have been advised) in the 20's.  My grandparents came from the Fermoy area so might be worth a trace around Fermoy, Mallow, Ballyhooly, Doneraile areas (these areas are where I have traced my family).  I have visited the small house where the two families lived - a real 2 up, 2 down place!  It's on Water Lane in Youghal (don't know if you have ever visited Youghal but it's a small road just up from the Town Hall and Visitor Centre.  My mother attended the school there run by the nuns and had mixed emotions about it! Hope some of this helps you with your search.
McCarthy, Shanahan, Dwan