Author Topic: Graham and Mofs in Appleby  (Read 2000 times)

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Graham and Mofs in Appleby
« on: Sunday 27 January 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
If anyone spends time in the Kendal record office and could have a look in the Appleby records I would be very grateful!!
I have recently discovered that my 3xgreat grandfather was born in Appleby around 1805, and his wife around 1806 - these ages have been taken from the 1861 census so are obviously only approximate.
George Graham and Mary Mofs (at least I think it is Mofs - I have bought 3 separate birth certificates to try and read the writing correctly ....!) were the parents of Mary Graham baptised 1835 in Manchester Cathedral.  I had thought for some time that Mary was an only child as I could find no other baptisms, but after leaving this family alone for ages have recently found them on the 1861 Manchester census.
Neither George Graham nor Mary Mofs appear on FamilySearch and a search of various on-line databases suggests that Mofs is quite an uncommon surname.  If anyone has the time and inclination to look in the Appleby area, I would appreciate it!

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Graham and Mofs in Appleby
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 08 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi United,

Mary was probably called Moss. The old way of writing 'ss' looked like 'fs'.

:)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Tati - I have heard it before - but had completely forgotten!!!  I'll try Moss then ....!!!

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a book called "Appleby at Work" - an amalgam of trade directories for Appleby and both Graham and Moss do appear there. What occupation did George have?
Have you found them in any other census?   I may (I say may!) be able to get to Kendal after Easter as I shall be on holiday in the area.
Andrea

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Andrea
I have the family in the 1841 census in Manchester, 1861 - Manchester (that's how I discovered they were from Appleby!) and George as a widower in 1871 - again Manchester.  The missing 1851 census appears to be part of the damaged Manchester census and they have not been located!  George is listed as a shoe/bootmaker on all census entries and on his daughter, Mary's marriage certificate.
Any help would be greatly appreciated - I have tried all the online sources I can think of - to no avail ...!!
Thanks for the interest

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 08 09:05 GMT (UK) »
There is a George Graham in the 1849/51 directories in Scattergate, Appleby who is a bootmaker.   Also John of Battlebarrow in 1858.  Joseph 1865, Market Place 1884/5 and 17 Boroughgate 1894-1905.   Thomas of Bongate 1851-73 and Colby La. 1869.
Andrea

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 08 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrea!
George in 1849/51 is unlikely to be "my" George - unless he wentt back home for a few years ... but could be a relation of his if it was a family business or something - worth bearing in mind anyway.  I'll have to study the maps because I am not familiar with the area and look around the Appleby area for his (and Mary!) baptism and marriage because there is nothing suitable on the IGI and I believe the Appleby CofE churches have been filmed for the right time.  Of course, he could be non-conformist - but I am not inclined to go down that road yet as his daughter was baptised at Manchester Cathedral.
I appreciate the help - thanks!

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 March 08 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to butt in on your conversations.

I have noticed a marriage for George Graham & Mary Moss on the IGI on 10 Nov 1833 at St Peters, Church Street, Liverpool.

Could these be the same?

Chris

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 March 08 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I had not seen that before, probably because I had not cast the net so wide.  No reason to suppose that they did not marry in Liverpool before going to Manchester!
I will have to try and persuade someone in Liverpool to look it up for me ....!!
Thanks again