Author Topic: Is MOUCHET a French surname ?  (Read 10600 times)

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Is MOUCHET a French surname ?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel

Yes of course you are right about Joseph & Harriet as husband and wife.   Good spot   :)

According to the 1851 census Caroline was born in 1828. This does indeed suggest that Samuel died about 1827/28.  More pieces to the puzzle !

Thanks for the link to Geneanet.   Wow.  Mouchet is definately French.  There are only 3 Mouchet entries for the United Kingdom. A lot of info to go on via the French lines if i can make a connection.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
If Joseph senior of the 1841 census really was a Mouchet aged approximately 30 (1841 census adult ages over 15 were ususally rounded down to the nearest 5) then his birth would be circa 1811 just therefore possibly the son of Sarah Mouchet but not a possible for a husband Samuel who was born (if baptised the year of his birth) in 1801. FreeBMD has no examples of a Joseph Mouchet or Mouchett in the civil registration index (very good coverage up to about 1910). No Harriet(t) Mouchets either or Wilfred or Alfreds. That may mean that family might not have actually been Mouchets and if so the ditto on the 1841 census could have been a mistake.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 January 08 00:14 GMT (UK) »
You may be right Valda about Joseph & Harriet not being Mouchet's.  I have been searching this evening but can't find them at all on any other census year.

I keep thinking about this baptism record you found for me yesterday -

CAROLINE MOUCHET
Birth:  14 MAR 1797   
Christening:  24 APR 1818   Saint Mary, Newington, Surrey
Father:  HENRY MOUCHET
Mother:  MARY 

I am struck by the names Caroline, Henry and the district being St Mary, Newington as we have now found that Caroline and Henry Mouchet were siblings of my Sarah Mouchet. Was Caroline a sister and Henry a father to my Samuel Mouchet ?

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 February 08 07:16 GMT (UK) »
CAROLINE MOUCHET 
GEORGE ROBBERDS
Marriage:  26 APR 1818   Saint Giles, Camberwell, Surrey

1841 census HO107 1055/1 folio 36 page 20
? Place Kennington Lambeth
George Robburds 45  ?
Caroline Robburds 40 
Mary Robburds 20 
George Robburds 10 
Jane Robburds 7 
all born Surrey except George

George was a widower born London on the 1851 census, still in Lambeth, children all born Lambeth. On the 1851 census his occupation was a ? - silversmith.

Deaths Mar 1847 
Robberds  Caroline     Lambeth  4 220

On the IGI coverage of St Mary Newington's baptisms only begins in 1813. There is really only very limited coverage of parish registers in the Southwark/Lambeth area for the period you are interested in. You will find more indexes for these parishes at the London Metropolitan Archives, though sometimes such indexes are handwritten and by year - as in the case of St Mary Lambeth.

Regards

Valda

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 February 08 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Valda. More pieces to the puzzle.

This Caroline (St Mary, Newington) and her father being named Henry is the avenue i will go down now. I reckon that there is more chance of my Samuel being more closely connected to this Mouchet family than the Soho, Westminster Mouchet family. I will try to visit the LMA this week and check the Parish records if i get a day off work. I have been there before so i am familiar with the set up there. I will let you all know if i find Samuel Mouchet's parents.

I have deleted Abraham John Mouchet as Samuel's father from my main tree. I have to go with that document stating that all the children of Abraham John Mouchet and Mary Stedman died unmarried or without issue.

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 June 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Four years later and i am still searching for the baptism of my 4x G Grandad Samuel Mouchet.  :(

I am now starting to think Samuel was baptised as Henry Mouchet in St Mary, Lambeth 25th Feb 1788 son of Henry Ann Mouchet & Mary (nee Rogers). Samuel's daughter Sarah born c1825 Lambeth is my 3x G Grandmother. 

Here are some connections i have found with my Sarah Mouchet's family and Henry Ann Mouchet's family :

1. Henry Ann Mouchet's burial of record of 1788 in Bunhill Fields states his abode as White Hart Row, Lambeth. In 1841 my Sarah Mouchet & her husband (William Joseph) & family plus her mother Sarah are living in Regency Place which is in that same street.

2. Henry Ann Mouchet had a daughter named Jemima Mouchet b1786 & baptised St Mary, Lambeth 25th Feb 1788. Jemima marries John Robberds. A Caroline Mouchet mentioned earlier in the thread marries a George Robberds. So obviously this Caroline is related to Jemima. It turns out that in 1851 Caroline's (died in 1847) husband and family are living at 6 Bennet's Buildings, Lambeth. My Joseph family lived at No 4 & No 5 Bennets Buildings in 1861, 1871 & 1881.

3. Name connections : Henry Ann Mouchet's father was named Samuel.  Siblings of my Sarah Mouchet were named Henry & Caroline.

Is it possible that Samuel was born Henry ?

P.S.
I have since looked at the Will's mentioned earlier in the thread plus Henry Ann Mouchet's Will and my Samuel is not mentioned. Henry Ann Mouchet made his Will in 1785 and names his two children as Mary Ann & Esther. His other children Jemima & Henry were not born then. I have still not found a burial for Samuel or a marriage to Sarah.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 June 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

On Caroline and Sarah's marriages they give the same information about their father - Samuel deceased painter. Does Henry, their other known and older sibling give the same information on his marriage and does Sarah's death certificate confirm she was the widow of Samuel?

What connection is Joseph Mouchet who married Harriet King, as a minor in 1827, to the family since he is with them on the 1841 census? Could he be the eldest child?

Regards

Valda

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 June 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Valda

Sarah & Caroline's brother Henry marries Sophia Coleman on the 17th May 1846 in Kennington. He also names his father as Samuel. I found that marriage on the Family Search website index.

I have not got Samuel's wife Sarah's death certificate. That is an excellent idea. She died in 1852. I will definately order that now.

I have that Joseph Mouchet as an older sibling of my Sarah at the moment.

There is a Joseph Mouchat buried in 1848 Lambeth age 41. If this is him then his mother Sarah would of been about 15 when she had him.

There is also a Joseph Mouchat who was a witness to the marriage of Caroline Sarah Robberds (daughter of Caroline Mouchet) in 1840 Lambeth. His signature and spelling are different to the Joseph Mouchet who married Harriet King though.

Offline Stigs

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 15 April 13 03:06 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Stiggers family and am looking at a direct connection with Joseph Mouchat who was married to Harriet King. They had two children both named Thomas. The first Thomas died in c1849 whilst the second Thomas was born in 1853. have not been able to identified what happened to Joseph Mouchat and the information you have is that he died in 1848 which does not tie in with the children's births . In Feb 1857 Harriet married John Stiggers. At some stage Harriet's surviving son from the first marriage changed his surname from Mouchat to Stiggers and he is my great grandfather!
I have done lot of research on Thomas Stiggers and have traced the family back to c1750 in West Kingsdown in Kent. I have thought for some time that I need to concentrate my research on the Mouchat's and I would be pleased to hear from you with any further info you have on Joseph Mouchat's ancestors.
I have number of Mouchat birth certificates I can copy to you if you wish but I can only do this after the first week in May as I am out of the UK at present.