Author Topic: Is MOUCHET a French surname ?  (Read 10603 times)

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Is MOUCHET a French surname ?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 April 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Stigs

Your info on Thomas Stiggers confirms that there must of been two Joseph Mouchet/Mouchat's living in Lambeth at the same time. The burial in 1848 must of been the other Joseph Mouchat and not your Joseph who married Harriet King. I don't know when your Joseph died. I can't find your Joseph & Harriet on the 1851 census either.

I am not sure how your Joseph is related to my Mouchet family. Your Joseph & Harriet and their children are living with my Mouchet family in the 1841 census. My Mouchet family in that census are mother Sarah and her three children Sarah, Henry, Caroline. Mother Sarah was born about 1792 in Cripplegate, London. Father Samuel Mouchet is not on that census. I presume he died before 1841.

I have not found a baptism, marriage or burial for father Samuel so far. I have not got any further back from him in the Mouchet line. I do however believe that our Mouchet's are related to Henry Ann Mouchet mentioned in a previous message in this thread. Henry Ann Mouchet's family came from Colombier, Neuchatel, Switzerland.

I would like to see those Mouchat birth certificates. I will send you a personal message with my email address.

Pilgarlic

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 April 13 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

To receive and send Rootschat personal messages Stigs needs to make three posts on Rootschat.

See Rootschat information on personal messaging for further details

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Posting twice more on this topic will allow you both to communicate by pm.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 April 13 06:14 BST (UK) »
FYI, I have just found a record from 1805 in the Bank Of England Will Extracts on FindMyPast which mentions Abraham John Mouchet and William Stedman.

It refers to 1200 pounds in the 3% consols in the names of Mary Grace of Park Street Grosvenor Square Widow (the Graces in Park Street are my interest) and William Stedman of Frith Street Soho Peruke Maker.

Essentially it records that by 18 November 1805 both Mary Grace and William Stedman had died but Probate on Stedman's PCC will (5 Mar 1805) was granted to AJ Mouchet (with rights reserved to William Reid), meaning that the funds were at Mouchet's disposal.

There may be some value for you in following up these leads.

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 April 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info horselydown86.

I will make a note of it for future research.

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 January 14 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I ordered the 1852 death certificate of Sarah.

It states that she was the widow of Samuel Mouchet a Painter. She died at 43 Regency Place, White Hart Street. Sarah is living at 18 Regency Place in the 1851 census.

Can someone please lookup number 43 Regency Place in 1851 to see who was living at that address. There may be a family connection there.

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 January 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I ordered the 1852 death certificate of Sarah.

It states that she was the widow of Samuel Mouchet a Painter. She died at 43 Regency Place, White Hart Street. Sarah is living at 18 Regency Place in the 1851 census.

Can someone please lookup number 43 Regency Place in 1851 to see who was living at that address. There may be a family connection there.

Hannah Waite, aged 70, lived at No. 43 in 1851. With her are 2 sons; Joseph, 37, a greengrocer, and Robert, 27, a light porter.
Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 January 14 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for doing that lookup for me Susieroe.

Offline tonac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Just discovered this thread. My interest is in Sophia Auglin Mouchet who married Rev John Hambleton, the lived in Islington. In the 1861 census her two sisters Sophia Adelbert & Susanna Adelbert Mouchet were staying with the Hambletons.

Sophia Auglin was born in Jamaica in 1788, the other 2 sisters were born in London.
This thread seems to have missed census all info, certainly this one. From my researches, their parents were Daniel Mouchet & Sarah nee Cuthbert.

Some of this seems quite contrary to other posted here (parents of Sophia Adelbert & Susanna Adelbert for example).

I would love to hear comments on this.

Tony

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Six years later and i have finally found Samuel Mouchet's burial. He was buried on the 14th May 1836 at St Mark, Kennington, age 41, of Regency Place. That puts his birth abt 1795.

Also a Mary Ann Mouchet was buried there 27th May 1838 age 83 of White Hart Street. Mary must be the widow of Henry Ann Mouchet who died in 1788.

I am starting to believe that Samuel was the illigitimate son of that Mary. Also Caroline & Joseph Mouchet mentioned in this thread were possibly illigitimate children of Mary as well. (Samuel named one of his daughters Caroline).

Still looking for Samuel's baptism & marriage. It may take another six years though !