Author Topic: The Strang's  (Read 33564 times)

Offline Mells

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Strang's
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
An additional note on Margaret THOMSON who married Thomas STRANG in 1867.  She was not a local girl.  She was born in Montrose, Forfarshire, to David THOMSON & Agnes DOIG.  But her parents were actually Fifers: David claims to have been born in Kirkcaldy, Margaret in Scoonie.  Their marriage record says ‘both of the parish of Scoonie’, Fife.  The THOMSON family were in Montrose for a few years and then moved to Dunfermline about between 1845 and 1848.      M.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 01:10 BST (UK) »

Hello Mells,

Nice to hear from you again. To say that I'm delighted to have been able to help you, is an understatement. I'm beginning to feel like that old bloodhound in Walt Disney's Lady & The Tramp - Old Faithful!

Your Ancestral Charts should now look pretty healthy compared to how they looked when we first started to correspond.

I was delighted that the James MILL mystery was solved and the spelling of James STRANGE MILL can now be explained. I took my New Tricks hat off when I came to the bit about the family member who was "a man of the cloth!"

Well, I think that we can say that this is what I keep talking about on RootsChat - people working closely together with a good heart. Even some of the "coincidences" that crop up, should be investigated, just as we did. Again and again, I will appeal to researchers out there to come forward and give as much basic information as they can, and we will do our level best to help them out.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 01:34 BST (UK) »

Hello again, Mells,

You said that you feel as if you're related to half of the population of Fife. Join the club! It would appear that people from different parts of the world get the impression that I really do have some kind of creepy old crypt where I have all my old records stored away. Nothing could be further from the truth. Those records are stored carefully away and when I get the time, (which isn't very often), I transfer them on to a computer program that I made some time ago. It's when I go into those details that I occasionally see "possible connections", and I just take it from there. People like yourself, Monica and Sancti, have the luxury of using more sophisticated tools, and that's just great. However, the best tool in the world is located inside us all, and when trained to be used correctly, can come up with some remarkable details. I'm glad to say, that now elderly, I still retain a pretty good memory, but above all, perseverance.

I hope that I can continue to assist people like yourself and in the process, form friendships. So, to all those people on RootsChat - jump in, and don't be afraid about not having much knowledge about computers, or maybe a trifle shy about your use of words. It doesn't matter a damn! We are now surrounded by technology, and it's a struggle to keep up with it. However, at the end of the day, that technology is simply a tool. Just tell people on RootsChat what you're trying to achieve, and you will find that many of us, will try to help.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline Mells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 01 May 08 01:28 BST (UK) »

One more entry from me before I take a break.  But I will be peeking in from time to time.  Like whenever there is a message to read . . . . .   

I thought you might like to see a list of the children of the offspring of John STRANG & Margaret WESTWATER.  These Christian names are so helpful in sorting things out.  (You already have the children of Thomas STRANG - m. Jean SPENCE - and John STRANG m. Betsy IZATT – if he was indeed the first child of STRANG/WESTWATER.)  Here is the info I have on the others.

William STRANG b. 1784, Tulliallan, Perth, Scotland, d. 14 Jun 1857, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

+Euphemia ROBERTSON b. Abt 1792, Markinch, Fife, Scotland, m. 28 Nov 1811, Wemyss, Fife, Scotland, d. 18 Aug 1876,
Wellwood Colliery, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, par. John ROBERTSON and Jessie WILKIE
2-Elizabeth STRANG b. 29 Nov 1812, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 17 Feb 1829
2-John STRANG b. 23 Jul 1815, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 2 Dec 1855, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-William STRANG b. 14 Sep 1817, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 25 Apr 1879, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-Margaret STRANG b. 19 Dec 1819, Beath, Fife, Scotland
2-Andrew STRANG b. 27 Jul 1822, Beath, Fife, Scotland, d. 21 May 1864, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-Nancy STRANG b. 27 Jul 1822, Beath, Fife, Scotland
2-Alison STRANG b. 24 Dec 1824, Beath, Fife, Scotland
2-Robert STRANG b. 13 Apr 1827, Beath, Fife, Scotland, d. 28 Nov 1887, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-Thomas STRANG b. 16 Aug 1830, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-Euphemia STRANG b. 25 May 1834, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland 

Andrew STRANG b. 3 Mar 1793, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

+Margaret GEDDES b. 4 Jan 1794, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, m. Abt 1816, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, par. George GEDDES and
May HUNTER
2-George STRANG b. 12 Oct 1817, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-May/Marion STRANG b. 12 May 1819, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 1864, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-Margaret STRANG b. 1 Dec 1820, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-Agnes/Ann STRANG b. 3 Mar 1823, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 7 Apr 1888, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-John STRANG b. 1824, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 17 Feb 1892, Edinburgh, Scotland
2-William STRANG b. 10 Apr 1827, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
2-Henry Geddes STRANG b. 12 Jul 1832, Whitburn, West Lothian, Scotland

Robert STRANG b. 1802, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 26 Mar 1852, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

+Mary BURT b. 1804, m. 14 Apr 1826, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 19 Mar 1890, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, par. George BURT and Margaret BURT

2-John STRANG b. 27 Dec 1826, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 1893, Minmi, NSW, Australia

2-Elizabeth STRANG b. 27 Jan 1829, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

2-Margaret Waldie STRANG b. 27 Oct 1830, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 7 Nov 1865, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

2-George STRANG b. 17 Apr 1833, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

2-William STRANG b. 11 Nov 1835, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 19 May 1907, Minmi, NSW, Australia

2-James STRANG b. 23 Jan 1838, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

2-Robert STRANG b. 28 Oct 1840, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

2-Mary STRANG b. Abt 1844, d. 25 Jul 1901, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland

2-Ann STRANG b. Abt 1846, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. May 1926

2-Euphemia STRANG b. Abt 1848, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 1911, Minmi, NSW, Australia

2-Thomas Gillespie STRANG b. Abt 1850, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, d. 29 Jul 1899, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland