Author Topic: crombie - thornton castle  (Read 7574 times)

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
crombie - thornton castle
« on: Monday 28 January 08 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Looking for any information on Andrew Crombie of Thornton Castle, Kir Kardinshire, Scotland.  He was married to Jessie and had a son Alexander Crombie in 1872 as well as a daughter Eleanor.

Any information regarding Thornton Castle and how it passed from the hands of Strachan to Crombie will be well received.

Kind regards
Jackie

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: crombie - thornton castle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 08 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie,
If you go to www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/features/featurefirst4642.html or simply Google, Thornton Castle you'll find information.
There's also a book 'Bonnet Lairds' by the late M.P. Colin N. Thornton-Kemsley.  His wife (who was a Thornton) and he lived at the Castle.  I had a copy but lost it when I moved house.  Amazon has 3 copies at £14.99 each or perhaps your library could supply.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 07:47 GMT (UK) »
thanks so much.  the right family:)

Regards
Jackie

Offline rupertjw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jackie

I was interested to see your post re Crombie and Thornton Castle. My mother was a Crombie and descended from the Alexander Crombie you mentioned. What is your connection to the family?

Thornton Castle was bought by Alexander Crombie  (1776 -1832) a successful Aberdeen attorney in 1804. He restored it but died in 1832, when it transferred to his cousin Alexander Crombie (1760-1840). It then stayed in the family until it was sold back to the Thornton family in 1893.

I am descended from Francis Crombie (1838-1925) the brother of the Alexander you mention. Alexander's wife (the Jessie you mention) was I believe called Elizabeth Marshall (1850-1885).

I would be interested in any information you have on other branches of the family.

Rupert
Whitmarsh Crombie Machen Broun

Offline Chris Duff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already found it, there's a book "Memorials of the Families of Strachan and of Wise" written by Rev. Charles Rogers and published privately in 1873.  Enter it in your browser.  ElectricScotland has a good copy which can be read easily online.  The Strachans were the owners of Thornton Castle for many generations and its history of the families who bought and sold the castle is well told.

Chris
Chris
Researching Blackhall, Cox, Duff, Farlow, Hallifax, Herdman, McCrae, Morison, Murison