Author Topic: Jacobite prisoners from 1745  (Read 131466 times)

Offline houston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 01 September 12 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a little late seeing this site but wonder if you can give me details of the McLeods on your list.
Wish thanks
houston
McLeod. Western Isles Scotland
Macdonald. Western Isles Scotland
Talbot. Norfolk,  England
Webb. Thaxted Essex
Westh. Knudsker, Denmark
Gillham,Gilham Kent England
Monk, Kent England

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 01 September 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Houston, there are 13 Mcloud's (transcribed as M'loud)   for the prisoners of the '45 from the list of just over 300 that were held in Tilbury Fort Essex prior to their transportation etc between 1746 & 1750. As before the number given to the "prisoner" is shown at the start of each entry.

2304 Alenander M'Loud Transported 20th March 1747
2305 Alexander M'Loud Transported 31st March 1747
2306 Alexander M'Loud Transported
2313 Donald      M'Loud Transported 31st March 1747
2318 Duncan     M'Loud Transported 31st March 1747
2323 John         M'Loud  Transported 31st March 1747
2324 John         M'Loud  Transported 20th March 1747
2325 John         M'Loud  Transported 31st March 1747
2326 John         M'Loud  Transported 31st March 1747
2333 Murdoch   M'Loud  Transported 31st March 1747
2324 Murdoch   M'Loud  Transported 31st March 1747
2337 Rory         M'Loud  Transported 31st March 1747
2338 Saunders M'Loud  Transported 31st March 1747

There was also a Kenneth McLoud who was imprisioned at Edinburgh and Carlisle who was transported out on the Gildart bound for the America's in 1747.

No doubt there were more McLoud's that were captured and sent abroad after the '45 but as I have said before my list(s) are only a small fragment for all of those taken prisoner.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Joy Weaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 19 September 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
I see that there are 45 GRANTs listed.  I was told by a fellow researcher of GRANTs who settled in Glengarry, Ontario, Canada after the American Revolution that the GRANT family from which my husband descends were among those prisoners.  I am confused by this assertion.  Weren't the Jacobites fighting for the Roman Catholic cause?  If that's correct, then it is unlikely that ours were Jacobite prisoners as the ones who settled in Glengarry, Ont. were Elders in the Kirk of Scotland. Can anyone clarify this?  (I supposed conversion is possible, but aside from that?)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 19 September 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
Joy, the majority of Jacobite supporters were probably Episcopalians, then RC's and also Presbyterians. In the '45 the Grants of Glen Morrison joined the rebellion and some of the Laird of Grant's tenants in Glen Urquhart. A lot of these guys weren't actually named Grant. The bulk of the clan in Speyside were on the side of the government.

Skoosh.

Offline Joy Weaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 19 September 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks!  I guess that takes away my main concern.  Now if I could only identify which Grants mine were!  Most of the Grants who settled in Charlottenburgh, Glengarry, Ontario were from Glen Morrison, but sorting them out is a major headache.  (It would help if every generation in every line didn't use the same six given names!  ???)
The line is believed to come down from Alexander Grant, b. 1689 Sheuglie, Urquart, Glen Morrison, who with his wife, Isabel Grant d. at Tilbury Fort.  Their daughter, Marjory married another Alexander Grant, b. 1733 and had a son, Donald Alexander Grant (always referred to afterward as Alex), b. 1755 who is an 1802 Crown grantee [our Grant grantee, of course] settler in Charlottenburgh.  After that, tracking them gets easy.
Any idea how I can learn which Alex Grant at Tilbury Fort was the right one?  I'm not convinced the information I was given is correct.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Friday 20 September 13 10:31 BST (UK) »
Joy,  I'm looking at this list of Grants in MacDonell of Glengarry's Regiment, there weren't enough of them to form their own regiment. Grant of Sheuglie must have been one of the clans gentlemen, he has three sons listed amongst the officers,
Alexander Grant = escaped.
Patrick
Richard = killed at Falkirk.
I don't see Sheuglie himself and there are a further seven Alexanders listed in the "Other Ranks".

Skoosh.

Offline Joy Weaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Friday 20 September 13 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, Skoosh.
Unfortunately, I have only the names of two daughters, so can't connect to the sons' names.
I've been trying to become better educated about the Jacobite prisoners and have found a listing online that seems to include about 300 apparently at Tilbury Fort. There are five Alexander Grants on the list, one of whom was acquitted 16 Dec. 1746 and the others transported (unknown where). Nothing I've found shows women and children, though all the sites I've looked at say they were imprisoned along with the men.
The birth dates for the family group I am researching make me wonder whether the story about imprisonment can possibly be true.  I am pasting the tree below (spelling as given to me).  If, as in the tree, both Alexander and Isabel died at Tilbury Fort, where was 11-year-old Marjory?  Unless she stayed behind in Scotland, I can't see how she could have survived and made her way back to grow up and marry.  Family lore doesn't mention transport and marriage in, for instance, Barbados.
The more I look at this, the less likely it seems to me to be accurate.

1 Alexander GRANT b: 1689 in Sheuglie, Urquhart, Glenmoriston, Scotland, d: Tilbury Fort, Essex, UK;  Jacobite prisoner
... + Isabella GRANT m: 19 Oct 1713 in Inverness-shire, Scotland, d: Tilbury Fort, Essex, UK
.....2 Hannah GRANT b: 1717
........+ ? GRANT
.........3 John "Dundreggan" GRANT, Esq. b. abt 1737 Dundreggan, Glenmorrison, Inverness, Scotland, d. 2 Oct. 1802, Williamstown, Glengarry, ON, Can. 
.....2 Marjory GRANT b: 1735 in Scotland, d: Sep 1812  [My husband's line]
            + Alexander GRANT b: 1733 in Scotland, d: 22 Oct 1791
........3 Donald Alexander GRANT b: 1755, d: Jun 1840 in Williamstown, Glengarry, ON, Can.
            + Anne (Nancy) CAMERON m: Bef. 1792, d: Bef. 1828 in Williamstown, Glengarry, ON, Can.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Friday 20 September 13 20:41 BST (UK) »
There's quite a bit of stuff about Grant of Sheuglie, Glenurquhart, online. The laird in the 1760's was a James.
 He seems a bit long in the tooth to be marching to Derby, what part did he play I wonder. Did he stay home and hang on to the estate?
Shocked that there were women & children in this fort.  Who were the savages I wonder?
I'm half a Grant myself Joy, Mid Ross, back to a George Grant, Urray about 1790, stuck at that I'm afraid.
 Have you tried the National Archives,  http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Friday 20 September 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
Joy,  been rummaging! Sheuglie did indeed keep out of the rebellion but was lifted anyhow. Post Culloden, the Laird of Grant with 800 Speyside men invaded Urquhart & Glen Morriston and arrested those who joined the rising, transportation was the result for most.

Skoosh.