Author Topic: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield  (Read 29888 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Huddersfield  Chronicle and West Yorkshire Advertiser Saturday, August 24, 1872
Huddersfield police court

Edmund Wear of Bradford road and Beaumont Eastwood of Newsome charged with stealing grapevines worth 15 shillings from the greenhouse of their employer Bentley Shaw brewers of Lockwood, pleaded guilty, fined £1 each and released from court.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 23:08 GMT (UK) »
many thanks for the information you have all found.I didn't know Edmund's siblings,so it's interesting to see who they were.I have a second cousin whose grand dad was my gran's brother and we share any info,we both have trees on Ancestry.He has all Edmund's siblings on his tree,which gradually I'm putting on my tree.
  I recently found a record of Edmund being declared bankrupt in 1867,it seems he had a shop,at that time he was living in Few Town.My thoughts on that are,possibly,the shop was run by his wife as he was a cartier,I'm only guessing.
 I have the feeling he was a bit of a rogue! Stealing grape vines in Yorkshire !seems really strange,I'm not implying that he didn't do it,but even today I don't know of anyone having grapevines in Yorkshire.People grow them in the south,I wonder what he planned to do with them!
 It's interesting that he stole from a Bernard Shaw as Shaw was his wife's maiden name.
 I didn't know what Edmund's father,Timothy did because he died before the census started.Timothy was born in Birstal in 1789,he married Hannah Booth the 11th of July 1811,he died in1840 in Rochdale,what was he doing there? I think his wife Hanna died in 1860,I don't know where. Maybe Bradford?
 The theory that the family had a family plot is interesting,going back beyond Timothy,his father was John born1766 in Birstall.
 You have given me places to look,which I will do,I'm also going to get a copy of his death certificate to see where he was living when he died and what he died of.
  Agian many thanks for info,I will get back if I find anything of interest.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Maybe if Edmund nicked the old fella's family silver, he would have not noticed but anything out of his garden worth pea nuts  ;D

I can only show a snippet of the full article

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 27 February 14 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Birstall, Hartshead area is tricky I have struggled with before. You have all the villages in the parish, Liversedge was in Birstall and that got its own church early 1800s with graveyard and some from Littletown went there but then when Roberttown started they started going there but they also went to Harsthead which was the nearest church to them before, Roberttown was built.
So if I was to guess at a family church for a burial at that time I would say Liversedge (of the Bronte fame) started about 1816, I have index Roberttown and that started about 1845 and he is not in there.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 27 February 14 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

What do you know about Rose Hill Birkby cemetery as its start year

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 27 February 14 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dob

Rose Hill it is a private green cemetery, I think it only just opened 1990s 2000 not sure.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 27 February 14 12:09 GMT (UK) »
All I can suggest now! is to ask Kirklees Council to do a full grave search of all its it cemeteries in Huddersfield and Dewsbury areas but it comes at a cost (See link)  ???

http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/community/registrars/pdf/grave_search_details.pdf

No doubt Edmund lost his job in 1872 and finding another job after been convicted of stealing from an employer would have made getting another job near impossible ! I would think that could have effected his down hill health. So if an existing family grave was not available  ? then a municipal pauper council grave would be the most likely only option his family had.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 27 February 14 15:25 GMT (UK) »
What a pity not able to see the full article.Slowly it seems there are a lot of places where he isn't buried,which leaves a few possibles.As I said before,I will get his death certificate,I think Kirklees want about £30 to do a search which I can't afford.
  Many thanks for all the help.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 27 February 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Maybe if Edmund nicked the old fella's family silver, he would have not noticed but anything out of his garden worth pea nuts  ;D

I can only show a snippet of the full article

I've type the rest of the article out below

in the morning, he found that four more bunches
had been taken away and another bunch broken off,
 and hanging by the vine, Enquires were made, and
 a police officer being sent off, prisoners confessed
they had been there and taken some grapes. He
 (Mr. Sykes) was instructed not to press the case harshly
against the younger prisoner, but Mr Shaw thought the elder
 ought to have set a better example. With those remarks he
should leave the case in their worships hands .
As prisoner pleaded guilty, no evidence was adduced. Mr Milnes
 on behalf of the younger prisoner Eastwood expressed regret for
 what had occurredand said that he had four years in the service
of the prosecutor. Prisoners were each fined 20 shillings and ordered
to pay expenses and damages between them.

Unquote