Author Topic: Catholic churches Brampton/Chesterfield  (Read 1775 times)

Offline jean Sandra

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Catholic churches Brampton/Chesterfield
« on: Wednesday 30 January 08 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking long and hard for the Swift family of my ancestor Miles swift. He was born between 1794 and 1797 in Chesterfield but I don't know who his parents were.
I can't seem to find records for this family before the marriage of Miles to Elizabeth Coates at Chesterfield in 1820.

The name Francis crops up a lot in the family and I wondered if perhaps they were Roman Catholics. If so does anyone know where they would have gone to worship pre - 1800 and just afterwards?

The family stated they were from Chesterfield but some appeared in both old and new Brampton.
Christenings pre 1800 are impossible to find.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Regards

Jean Sandra

Lancashire:
     Holland, Rothwell, Speake, Mills,                 Byrne, Healey, Cowburn, Thorpe,
Wolstencroft, Boulton, Holt
Cheshire:
       Daniel, Eccles, Challenor,Holt, Swift, Boulton, Thorniley, Sharman, Wilson, Hindley,
Dawson
Derbyshire:
       Sharman, Cocker, Coates, Swift, Thorniley
Cornwall
        Stephens, Bate, Cock
Leicestershire
         Dawson
Worcestershire
          Mills, Slater, Dukes
Berkshire
           Slater
Ireland
            Byrne
Staffordshire

Offline loujn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic churches Brampton/Chesterfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 11 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Did you look at http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl ? there are lots of baptisms for Swifts and the marriage of Miles (but no baptism for Miles!).  It covers St Thomas's at Brampton - although their do seem to be some bits missing that according to the coverage should have been transcribed.

The Roman Catholic Church on Spencer St, Chesterfield was built in 1855 (if i remember correctly!)  my ancestors married in 1853 and went to the RC Church at Spinkhill as Spencer Street wasn't open then.  Its a good 15 min car journey so it must have taken them ages in 1853! bet the bride didn't look her best by the time she got their!

Hope this helps.

Louise